Large, white object in tetra's gill, need help identifying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katepost28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Serpae tetra. There's a large, white, round object in the gill. It almost looks like one of the rocks from the tank. I just got the tetras earlier this week. I didn't notice it at the LFS.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
pH is on the alkaline side 7.3 (I don't test often)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Temp - 74

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 gal. I've had the tank over a year.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Fluval U3

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Long story here... I had 2 convicts and a blood parrot living together happily for a year. One convict out grew my other fish. He was around 4in, the other 2 are around 2in. He was attacking them. I tried everything and I added tetras this week to try to help. Currently, I have the smaller convict and 8 tetras all under 1 inch in the tank. Big boy attacked my parrot so the parrot is in a hospital tank for now. I had to rehome the big cichlid to fellow cichlid enthusiast. :(

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Wednesday. Once a week. I usually remove 30-50%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Only a few days. I had them float around in the bag a while. I used a net to drain the water from the bag then put the fish in.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I've added new fake plants and new gravel on Wednesday.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed my cichlids Cichlid gold and the tetras are eating Aqueon tropical flakes.

I hope that covered everything! I'm baffled by the white blob in the tetra's gill. None of the other fish seem to be sick. The other fish in the tank at the LFS looked healthy to me. The affected fish hasn't been acting strangely. I would have quarantined but my parrot is healing in my spare tank. Is there anything I can do proactively if it is a disease? I don't want to infect my other fish. One thing I'm unable to do at the moment is raise temp.
Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 82
I've only had the fish a few days and I noticed it there when I put the fish in the tank. I figured it was a pebble from the trauma of being moved from store to home. I thought it would have fallen out by now if it was. Should I try to remove it carefully? Should I separate it from the other fish?

Sounds like it might be some sort of growth or infection rather than a small stone? Hard to make out on picture. Separating for sure and treating with a general cure might help.

Do you think my other fish would be safe for a few days if I can't separate right now? I thought I had another tank but I don't and my BP is in the hospital tank for a few more days. I really don't want to add the medicine to my main tank.

It's hard to say. I guess ok if nothing changes suddenly. If it gets worse, fish looks tattered / picked on or not eating for example. Or maybe into a bucket with air stone or something perhaps.

Thank you! The fish seems okay for now. I do have an air stone and a container I could try to QT with.

Back
Top Bottom