Lethargic tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickenkev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
just a quick question, I have a 120l (approx 30gal) with the supplied Juwel bioflow 600 filter (rated 600l/hr) and a few plants in, had a red-tailed shark and 8 Harlequin Rasbora. Temp stable at 25.6-8, ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates <5. 5 days ago I added 5 neon tetra and 6 cardinal tetra. Knowing they're sensitive I tried to acclimatise the cardinals slowly in a bucket of tank water by adding a little tank water to the bag every few minutes for 45 minutes. Unfortunately one of the cardinals jumped out when I was trying to net them across and I had to gently pick him up and put him in the tank. On day 2 a cardinal died, and I figured it was the jumper and due to stress. Another died that day and again I thought stress, they're known to be sensitive and tetchy. Now another cardinal is lethargic, almost unmoving in one place, opening and closing mouth, not interacting at all. All the other fish in the tank seem happy and playful in the powerhead jet, and are alert. I cannot see any external sign of disease on any fish. Again temp is stable and ammonia nitrites are 0, nitrates <5. Any ideas?

Neons and cardinals are usually wild-caught and many succumb to shipping stresses, even after you've bought them and brought them home. IME, my neons either kick the bucket early or they hang around forever. It really just depends on how good of stock you can get.

It seems like your tank is in good order. You also seemed to acclimate your fish properly. For convenience sake, check out the drip method. Same principles, less work. The easiest way I've found to get fish out of a bag into a net is to pour out the bag through the net into the sink or another container.

Good luck with the rest of them.

thanks,

Unfortunately just found the little chap drifting in the filter current with just the occasional flip of the tail. Felt I had no choice but to euthanise him in ice water. I guess just keep my fingers crossed for the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom