Loach wasting away - internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 of my loaches are getting thinner. I am pretty upset. As any wild-caught fish it is expected for them to have parasites. They were OK for 3 months and only now are showing signs of a problem. After studying I have learned that I need a drug called Levamisole hydrochloride. Anyone please advise where I can buy it, thanks.

Before you hunt for levamisole, go check out the www.loaches.com forum. They talk about something called skinny disease there which they treat with antibiotics; check with them first and see if they think its parasites or skinny disease. I tend to think parasites as well, but they are the loachy experts.

In the meantime. Discomed is levamisole; BigAls carries it although lately shipping from them has s*cked. You might want to check your lfs (its made by Aquatronics).

Sick clown

Thank you Allivymar, that is where I read all the articles about this. All symptoms match: Loach turned from healthy pork-chop into see-thru concentration camp victim. He would not eat anything but frozen bloodworms. His other 2 buddies - one fat the other one is getting skinny too. The smallest one is in the hospital tank and i used 3 treatments of Jungle "Internal Parasite Guard" but how do I know it's working? I change water every day and feed blood worms 2 times daily. I just worry that he will be constantly stressed because he is alone.

Back
Top Bottom