Mollies starnge behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I am using the temperature trick to kill the parasites since my tank is already cycling and I don't want to overload it with extra chemicals :-?

EXACT same condition here.

and my fish are not eating.
today i identified 2 more female guppy that stopped eating, and now their belly starts to get convex.
same thing happened with the molli, the plati's (some of them are dead already) and the other guppy that i already lost.
and honestly SAME thing happened last time when i tried this trick (for 3 weeks) ... i lost fish, and the ich was back anyway.
now i said to myself, i will raise temp to 88, to make sure it does not go under 86 anymore, and i have noted both my start of treatment date, AND the ich-clear date... following the schedule, i should stay at this temp for about 2 more weeks... and at this rate i will probably have no fish left in the tank.

my bet is that the temperature is too extreme for them, and they just cant take it anymore.

Well I read on a website about another parasite called Velvet (Oodinium) and it looks like ich except the spots are yellow or gray and it has a distinction that the fish has speed gills movement, I think that's our bastard :mad:

I will try hard to decrease the Nitrate and the Nitrite so I minimize the variables of what is causing the death.

Too bad I did not read about the fish less tank cycle before starting :-?

Are they at the top gasping? What are the parameters of the tank after the water change? Did you increase the surface agitation of the tank?

Gasping means they are not getting enough O2. Could be there is not enough in the water, it is more likely their gills are damaged, which could come from the ich or from ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Well I read on a website about another parasite called Velvet (Oodinium) and it looks like ich except the spots are yellow or gray and it has a distinction that the fish has speed gills movement, I think that's our bastard :mad:

I will try hard to decrease the Nitrate and the Nitrite so I minimize the variables of what is causing the death.

Too bad I did not read about the fish less tank cycle before starting :-?

my water conditions are PERFECT,
ph stable at 7.5(for months)
nh = 0 to 0.1 MAX
no2=0 to 0.2 MAX
no3= under 10 (when they hit 10 i do PWC)

trouble is that even after a fungus clear treatment, and a ich treatment PLUS a ich treatment thru temperature, theyr white-ish spots re-appear every 2-3 days.
on theyr eyes, behind theyr breathing "exits" (branchies???), on theyr tail, on theyr fins ....on ofc on theyr body

i think i should try to take some pics, that might elucidate it.

No they are swimming normally except they look tired but not near the surface and the mouth is moving all the time in rapid movements!

The parameters are:

pH 7

kH 7

Ammonium (NH4) 2 - 5 mg/l

Ammonia (NH3) deduced from the table using the pH and Ammonium 0.03 mg/l

Nitrite (NO2) 5 mg/l

Nitrate (NO3) 100 mg/l

The water change didn't affect the Nitrate/Nitrite levels at all :eek: I am going crazy!

How can I increase the surface agitation :confused:

I don't think it is because of lack of Oxygen in the water otherwise the other fishes would be gasping as well and not those two, so the ugly second option might be true :-?

What kind of test kit are you using?

Increase surface agitation by lowering the water line if you have an HOB filter, add an airstone or increase the flow if you have one already.

Sera aqua-test kit, it is liquid bottles not strips.

I cannot lower the water line because I have an filter inbound heater and the water should not get below certain level, I have added already another air stone and another pump, the capacity of the two pumps should be suffecient for 160L tank, mine is only 60.

I just did another 50% pwc and guess what?!! Nitrate and Nitrite values are just the same! Either I am color blind or those fishes swimming in liquid Nitrogen :silly:

That is odd. Can you take a sample to the LFS to test or To test your kit try testing your tap water or some distilled water.

I agree that getting readings from the water before putting it in the tank and from your LFS is the thing to do right now. You're test kit may not be acurate or the water going in may be the problem. Does your source water contain chloramine? If so are you using a conditioner that will neutralize chloramine?

Water change?

I just set up my tank about 2 months ago. I used mollies and platties to cycle it with and the fish store told me NOT to do any water changes when cycling it because otherwise you're just starting your tank all over again. They said cycle with cheap fish because some will die and just let the tank cycle for 6 weeks. Once the tank is completely cycled the amonia will go down. They also suggested to use Stress Zyme to help the live bacteria grow.
I did what they told me and my tank is fine (Other than getting hit with Ich over the weekend).
I don't know how many people agree with this but I am passing on the information that the fish store told me.

Moment of truth!

OK this sounded like a great idea to test the test kit, I have tried the source water and the readings as follow:

Nitrate 10 - 25 mg/l
Nitrite 0 mg/l

I have no idea why Germans put Nitrogen Oxides in the water, no wonder my Nitrate levels are not going down with water change :-?

The water has chlorine for sure and for that I use AquaSafe (Tetra product) and also used SafeStart (also a Tetra product), these should do it and remove the chlorine and other heavy metals that the water might contain.

Ideas?!!

Update...

OK since the temperature rising was really stressing my Mollies out and lowering the temperature gradually made them back to their activities and they started to act normal except the female with the spots (complete loss of appetite and speed breathing) and another female with clipped fins (no other symptoms noticed so far), I decided to give up the temperature treatment and start the chemical treatment using ContraIck (Tetra product)...

Bad news first:

The female with the spots died 5 minutes after applying the medication :( No other casualties or strange symptoms on any other fish noticed. So far :-?

Good news:

Most of the white tiny worms I had started to fall off the glass and I guess they are dying but I cannot confirm because while they are swimming in the water it is really hard to decide whether they really move or it is just the water current.

Back
Top Bottom