My goldfish is constantly floating to the top of the tank and laying there upsidedown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GenerationStudios

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish has been floating to the top of the tank and lying there upside down. He's not dead because he's breathing and opening his mouth. Here is some information on the fish and tank:

• The fish is an Oranda
• I have a 20 gal tank
• I have 2 100 gph. Aqueon filters
• He is fed TetraFin goldfish flakes and Wardly goldfish small floating pellet food
• He is fed twice per day
• I do not test the water

It also looks like he is scraped up on his stomach area.

:thanks:
-Davis

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hi. Looks like swim bladder issues to me. Most likely from feeding floating food. They take in too much air while feeding at the surface. Try feeding only peas (make sure to de-shell and de-husk them and cut them up to bite size) for a few days to see if that helps.

It would be better to switch to sinking pellets and no flakes. It is really important to test the water to make sure the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are in the safe zone. Unhealthy water is also going to cause issues for your Goldie. Most on here recommend the API freshwater master kit. Strips are cheap but you get what you pay for. They are pretty unreliable.

Hope your Goldie gets better soon! It is a beautiful fish.

Are you still only changing a tiny bit of water once a month or less? Changing the filters constantly? I will suggest again that you invest in an API fw master test kit as I did previously. He is unwell from unhealthy water and an improper diet. Addressing water quality issues and dietary issues are the first steps towards getting him healthy. I believe I may have already posted the link below for you but I will ask that you please read them again and ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/page2.html

Last edited:
My goldfish has been feeling better since I fed him the peas. Around 25% of the 20 gal tank is changed every 4-6 months. Both the filters are changed every 7-10 days and the water has been much cleaner sense the last time when he had the bloody bubble eye. I'm going to go to PetCo to see if they have the master test kit. If they don't I'll order it from Amazon.

:thanks:
~Davis

Back
Top Bottom