My male guppys tail is gone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
A chunk of my male guppys tail has been ripped out
He is very active still and will eat
He is housed with 7 females, 3 cories and one other male
Doing a water change now
When I left home his morning he was fine
Please help!
I will get params in a few minutes

Water change is your best bet right now.

Soak food in Garlic Guard if you can, it'll help build immune system. Usually fins grow back, but if it's torn off too short, it may get infected. Keep a close eye on it.

Did three WCs
Today I get home and find another smaller chunk torn out
I think he may be ripping it on something because my driftwood has several sharp bits
I think I'll buy a divider and section out a piece of tank for him without decor besides maybe some plants while he heals

That happend to my guppy too, it eventually died so I hope you have better luck than I did.

You can use an emory board to file down sharp edges on driftwood or any other decor. Well, except rocks. :rolleyes:

My levels are 0,0,20 and I filed the wood
His tail is getting worse
I see no nipping at all
Please help!
Edit- I just started treatment with Macaryn last night

I hate to say this, but if there is no sign of infection or stress I think that its all a waiting game. Keep the water clean and keep an eye out in case its fin rot. I've used melafix before but if your using a different treatment its not recommended to mix the two. Keep us posted and hope for the best

I have a glow light tetra missing his tail. Credit a vicious Betta I have several good ones but a nasty tempered one got him. That Betta is now gone. But point is I have no infection or rot and as prev poster said I added salt to the tank. And as several chemistry tests done by experts show even in iodized salt the iodine is such that the small quantities that we would use in aquariums have no Ill affects. That said I choose to use simple sea salt. That was a very long winded way to say yes add some salt. Currently glow light appears healthy as could be expected and slowly healing.

I don't think is the cleanliness of your water, and it is most likely that his tail was bitten off by another fish in the tank. Maybe try to re arrange the decoration, you fish will be more passive if the think they are in a new environment.

And maybe put Melafix to heal fin rot.

Aniistarr said:
I don't think is the cleanliness of your water, and it is most likely that his tail was bitten off by another fish in the tank. Maybe try to re arrange the decoration, you fish will be more passive if the think they are in a new environment.

And maybe put Melafix to heal fin rot.

I'm using, as I stated, Macaryn, which I doubt I should mix with other meds. I prefer it anyway. I can't rearrange the decorations- it is a planted tank and my driftwood only fits in the spot I currently have it in

butterfly_koi said:
How is your guppy doing emerald?

Eeeh, a little better
But more rips
I've reduced my bioload by rehoming two females

Back
Top Bottom