My Male Krib .. died ... why ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My male krib died over the weekend, it was missing for about 2 days(did spot him once - both male and female were in hidding inside thier cave), thought they were mating so didnt worry ..... on Saturday I notice the male @ the back of the tank (still alive).. he had lost most of his color, and his belly was bloted ... and in the evening he was dead.

only thing that changed recently in the tank was some new plants .. Wisteria and pennywort...

tank : 155 L.

been running for 7 months.

this was a breading pair.

does any one know what happenned ?

You will really need to test your water. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates, pH, kH.

It could have been water conditions or the female might have decided that he was not a worthy father.......

I tested the water on Friday .. that was a day before the death .. it was Amonia = 0, nitrites = 0 .. not sure on nitrate ... Ph = 7.0 - 7.2

there was no evidence of attack on the male ...

Maybe it was an old fish? It could have caught a disease after all the breeding activity. Sometimes there is no good explanation without a post mortem from a fish pathologist, but most people don't go that far.

It depends if it died from a bloated belly.

Sometimes fish eat too much and get constipated. If it was just full (of food) when it died, then just the deat could cause bloating. Some diseases cause bloat, but you would have to researh that to find out if the signs and symptoms match your fish.

Back
Top Bottom