My rainbow shark has started flashing again darn it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently my rainbow shark had some probs, it was flashing a lot, seemed to have some kind of parasite. I treated it with a chem, parasite water treatment and it went away.

Just yesterday i noticed that he has started flashing again! Before, i never actually knew exactly what was wrong, but noticed the problem early and started treatment. The only thing i saw physically on the fish was some 2-3 faint white marks, looked as though it was affecting individual scales. Within days of treatment they faded and the flashing stopped.

I dont know whats going on! My brothers tank is having a similar problem, his loaches keep 'flashing', but there are no marks, scars, wounds or parasites visible. Im wondering if its our water? Would higher nitrates cause minor problems?

I will post all my tank details, and water perameters tomorrow (cant do it now).
Thanks.

Flashing can be environmentally or pathogen caused. High ammonia or nitrates or unstable pH can damage the skin and make it itch. Do a full water test (and maybe a large pwc) and if that doesn't show any problems, then you may want to add meds.

Flashing is when a fish rubs itself against a surface, because its skin is irritated. Its a very unique look, and you'll know it when you see it.

elliot, if you water quality is good, try raising your temperature to above 86F. That way, if it is ich(which is very possible) it will be killed. Avoid the meds if at all possible.

NH3 - 0ppm
NO2 - 0pp
NO3 - 10-20ppm
pH - about 8 (tested using high range, as my water reads off the scale on the normal range).

I dont have any other testing kits for any other parameters.

I have done a large pwc, and will watch to see if there are any changes in the sharks behaviour.
I havnt seen him flashing today, it's not very oftern he does, but there has to be something wrong, otherwise he wouldnt be doing it at all.

no, i havnt, i will do though. I have done this before. I have just seen my male dwarf gourami flashing today aswell, have not seen the shark doing it today.

This is annoying, because i dont know what it is! It happened a couple of weeks ago, so i raised the temp to 86 and treated, seemed to go, and now its back! Before, there were no white spots, and there are none this time too!

Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help.

Ich doesn't need to be externally seen to be present. It starts out so small, that you can't see it with your naked eye.

Raise the temp up, and keep it there for 2 weeks AFTER you see the fish stop flashing. If you lower it too soon, it'll be for nothing.

I cant remember how long exactly, maybe it wasnt quite long enough.
How long would you say it is for visible white spots to appear, after seeing flashing?
I am raising my temp slowly.

Once you have the temp up, leave it for a little over 2 weeks after you see the flashing stop. That way you will know for sure if it is ick, it will be gone. To get rid of ick on my loach, I had to bump the temp to 90, as 86 wasn't quite high enough for the strain I had I guess. But if you decide to go that high, definitely use a good bubbler and run it all the time.

Thanks, yeah, when i did it before, i lowered the water level so that the filter input was pushing water upout of the water, creating more airation.
The only thing i tend to worry about is if all the fish will be alright in those high temps. They were fine before, its just one of those things you think about.

Right, it has been just over 2 weeks now, and i believe all the fish have stopped flashing. I havnt seen any of them flashing for nearly a week!
I'll start to lower the temp back to normal.
Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom