My tank is turning into a death trap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
beunos aires tetra Depending on what angle you look at it from, it either looks likea very shiny almost white patch on the scals, about 1/4 of an inch long, or a white nobbby substanse protruding for the side of the fish. It also sometimes looks like it had a gash, then it turned white. Aslo he is unchariclisticly swimming at the top of the tank, gulping but only around once ever 20-40 minutes.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitra 40 too high, i know, but i also no why, one of my chewrry barbs died and i didnt find it for a few days result: No head and alot of fungus. If the plants dont clear that up by tomorrow ill do a water change.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 24 gallons. Up since November Fish in january (cycled)
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Aqua clear 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 4 cherry barbs 3/4 of an inch 1 bolivian ram 2-3 inches 2 bronze cories 1 1/2 inches 2 peppered cories 3/4 inch 4 black skirt tetras 1 inch 1 serpae tetra 1 inch and the sick one
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
last sunday 50%
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
1 time a week 25-50% each time
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? about 3 weeks, it was rescued
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Blood worms twice a week nutrafine flakes 5 times a week alga pellets amd anti parisite food 1 or twice avery 2 weeks. NO

I should not be allowed to keep fish. I lost three gouramis 2 cherry barbs and now this guy is sick... ALL IN TWO MONTHS!

First of all, of course you should be allowed to keep fish. The fact that you care enough to post when something is wrong proves you care. We all have some fish deaths, that is a fact of life. It may be a form of fungus or infection if he did have a gash. I'd start with some melafix, and if things don't improve in a day or so, try an antibiotic.

Oh yes, i forgot to say, i just dosed melafix, and pimafix, just incase. Sorry for being over dramatic... Im just getting really frustrated. And its not a pleasant sight to find on of your fish headless and covered in white stuff. People always tell me im over daramatic.. I guess ill never learn. :p

Oh believe me I know how it feels. I just don't want you to get down on yourself or give up fishkeeping. The rewards way outweigh the bad things IMO. Good for you on the melafix and pimafix, sounds like you already have a handle on it.

Fishygurl, sorry to hear about your fish :( Sometimes we don't know why fish die and it is sad, but Zagz is absolutely right - don't give up or think it's your fault.

So, about the tetra - you were right to start off with Melafix and Pimafix. They are "natural" meds that most fish respond to. You don't have to worry about removing them with carbon either, like most other meds.

If that hasn't helped, like Zagz said, try an antibiotic. I would suggest Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It has an anti-fungal ingredient plus an antibiotic to combat any secondary infection. Use a QT tank to give the Fungus Eliminator or other antibiotic so you don't risk killing the good bacteria in the main tank. A QT doesn't have to be expensive - a Rubbermaid container, airstone and heater. You can put just the one tetra in the QT - fungal infections are not passed along among the fish. Fungal spores are everywhere, and this one fish was susceptable at the time.

A comment about the gouramis - Did you ever treat them with Melafix? Some people, including myself, have had problems when using Melafix with labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis. The active ingredient in Melafix may irritate the labyrinth organ. I'm not saying not to treat gouramis with Melafix, just watch for any signs of stress when medicating, and discontinue the med and do water changes if necessary. I feel that Melafix is a good med for most other fish, but be cautious when using it with labyrinth fish.

I have a QT Ill put him in when i get back but im not sure if hell last the day. Hes almost on his side at the top gulping! Yes i treated the gouramis with melafix. If hes still alive this afternoon ill get some other meds

fishygurl said:
I should not be allowed to keep fish. I lost three gouramis 2 cherry barbs and now this guy is sick... ALL IN TWO MONTHS!

I can understand your frustration. I lost a little more in that time span and also wanted to give up.

You are on the right path and once this is behind you, you will be able to help someone in a similar predicament.

He is combating the malady. He is having difficulty getting O2 into or through the gill plates, possibly due to blockage. The treatment you are providing will help this.

Gouramis aren't a hardy fish. They need really good water quality. The high nitrates probably did them in.

We've all gone through the fish killing phase. Fish keeping is like anything, you'll make many mistakes before you figure it out.

Alot of times, not all the time, water changes are the best medicine. If the water is pristine it helps the fish fight infection. This doesn't include ich or parisites.

Um.. the gouramis died like a month ago and the nitrates were under 10. LOL Well anyways.. I cant find the fish. Im trying to prepare my self to go look again but i dont want to. I hate looking for the fish and knowing in is probably dead. There is no way anyone can manke me a do a water change till i know if that fish is dead or alive. It would be too disturbing to find it while i was sucking out water. Im really afraid to look. But i guess i better do it. ILl post in a minute what i find. Wish me luck!

EDIT:I had to kill--no whats the word euthanize it. It was up side on the bottom but still breathing. (slowly) I tried to do it but i hadnt even got the net in the tank before i had to throw up. I know.. Im a whimp. But my dad had to do it. I just couldnt. Atleast its not suffering. All the other fish seem healthy. I dont think that one was even healthy when i got in. It was always in the back of the tank, and didnt eat well. But i stil fell awful even though i dint even have to do the task.

IceH2O said:
Gouramis aren't a hardy fish. They need really good water quality. The high nitrates probably did them in.
If the water is pristine it helps the fish fight infection. This doesn't include ich or parisites.
Gouramis are quite hardy actually, does depend on the species though. As long as they are given decent water quality, a warm enough temperature, aren't kept in a cramped tank and allowed to breathe at the surface, they usually do just fine.
You may see a whole tank of gouramis not doing too well at a LFS because of being kept with many fish in small bags for a long period of time.

Back
Top Bottom