Need Help. Can someone identify this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfclk33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Discus are in pretty rough shape. I have attached a picture and am hoping someone can tell me what they have. It looks like some kind of fungus, but I'm not sure.

20141129_185337.jpg

This is a 125 gallon tank
I change 60% of the water twice a week
My water parameters are good:
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10-15 ppm

I introduced a new fish last friday and I think that's where my problem came from. I have gotten other fish from this LFS, so I didn't QT. Lesson learned.
Also, if someone knows what this is, can you please tell me what I need to do to cure it. Thanks.

Hopefully a discus expert will come along. How are they doing? Also what is tank temp - is it warm enough for them?

It looks like fungus but is quite strange. Normally I see it more as a patch, only once have I seen it like a lace web on a catfish (not quite like yours though). Anyways my thought would be fungal but I do wonder if there is something else going on. How may fish are infected?

Tetra fungus guard will cover the fungus but also bacterial as well just in case.

Tetra® Fungus Guard Freshwater Fish Fungal Infection Treatment | Fungus | PetSmart

Tank temp is 82.5 and four of my five discus are infected.

I talked to someone at my LFS that keeps discus and she said something bacterial is probably the root of the problem. I am using metro and paragaurd per her suggestion.

Two of the four infected discus actually look better today, so I'm hoping for the best with the others.

Thank you for the advice though. I will keep the tetra product in mind.

Tank temp is 82.5 and four of my five discus are infected.

I talked to someone at my LFS that keeps discus and she said something bacterial is probably the root of the problem. I am using metro and paragaurd per her suggestion.

Two of the four infected discus actually look better today, so I'm hoping for the best with the others.

Thank you for the advice though. I will keep the tetra product in mind.

That many does suggest more than fungal - usually I only get one fish at a time with fungal and often temp related.

Good luck with it - can you keep us posted?

The metro I would of used for internal bacterial / internal parasites and the para more for external parasites so I'm interested if that combo works.

Well, here's a quick update. Three of the four sick discus are back to normal. The fourth one is better, but not quite back to normal yet. I do think it will fully recover though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom