Need help, fish dying left and right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I introduced 10 neon tetras a week ago with live plants and i have lost all but 2 neons in the past week, within the last 24 hrs I have lost 2 emporer tetra's 1 male guppy, i have 1 pearl gurami with what looks like fungal infection in a hospital tank with a male guppy that has lost all color in its tail and possibly looks like the tail is withering away

tank Stats
aquaclear 50
fluval 2 underwater filter

2 fire gouramis,
pearl gourami
1 blue dwarf gourami
3 femal guppies
5 male guppies
6 zebra cories
gold nugget pleco
2 neon tetras
6 blak skirt tetras

Dimensions 36 long, 12 wide, 16 deep

tank has been running 5 weeks and all fish but the neo tetras were in there, guppies added at end of cycle

ammonia .50
nitites nill
nitrates nil
PH 7.6
temp 76
hardness I dont have test for

Any ideas?

good news one of my female guppies had A baby

Ok it would seem that for some reason your tank is not done cycling. At the ed of a cycle you should have ammonia and nitrites 0 ppm and nitrates of at least 10 ppm. I'd do a pwc right away and do a small pwc every couple of days until your tank has cycled. Don't gravel vac though. Keep an eye on the ammonia level and do the pwc's as necessary. HTH. Is the guppy in the main tank or in a QT tank? The gourami in the QT tank, are you treating him with antifungal meds? You could try some pimafix and melafix for him.

As Zagz pointed out, the tank is not cycled. Neon Tetras are sensitive to water conditions and should not be put in an uncycled tank. They will most likely end up deceased.

I iknow the tank has finished cycling, i saw both the ammonia spike, the nitrites spike and then finally the nitrites, i have the gourami and guppy in a hospital tank being treated with pimafix right now. Any other ideas?

most likely, your tank did not cycle sufficiently and you added the fish too fast, the bioload was too much for it to handle and now you are going through another mini cycle. You don't need other ideas, you need water changes. You also had too many fish in that size of a tank.

[center:6e263625eb] :smilecolros: Welcome to Aquarium Advice, fishmonster! :n00b: [/center:6e263625eb]

I iknow the tank has finished cycling, i saw both the ammonia spike, the nitrites spike and then finally the nitrites
Just because they spiked, doesn't mean the tank finished cycling. The tank is done cycling when ammonia and nitrites are undetectable and nitrates are present. Even if the tank was cycled, you can crash a tank by adding too many fish at once. Since ammonia is present, that tells you the tank is not done cycling. Furthermore, a tank that is under 6 months is very unstable. You cannot say a tank is established until 6-8 months.

good news one of my female guppies had A baby
Not always a good sign. Stressed animals will sometimes release young in order to continue their line if they feel threatened.

It also looks like fin rot is harming your fish. The only thing to do right now is water changes. With the ammonia present, the fin rot will continue and even fish without signs of fin rot will do poorly.

I agree with Hara that a 29 gallon tank is not large enough to house all the fish listed above.

Back
Top Bottom