Neon Tetra has fin fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedCloudVapor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help with an identification and treatment for some type of fungus that is slowly eating the tail fins of my neons. I inherited 5 neons from my fiance's son who decided that he wanted convicts instead, so I put them in my new 25g tank. They already had the disease. It is a new 25 gallon tank that had no other inhabitants besides plants, so I figured I could treat them in the new tank without risk to other fish. It is a white poof on several of their tails, and one has a tiny poof on his mouth that looks like cotton. I am currently trying AP Quick Cure that has formalin and Malachite Green but it seems like it has been ineffective. They still have a healthy appetite.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419793811667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419793811667.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 104
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help with an identification and treatment for some type of fungus that is slowly eating the tail fins of my neons. I inherited 5 neons from my fiance's son who decided that he wanted convicts instead, so I put them in my new 25g tank. They already had the disease. It is a new 25 gallon tank that had no other inhabitants besides plants, so I figured I could treat them in the new tank without risk to other fish. It is a white poof on several of their tails, and one has a tiny poof on his mouth that looks like cotton. I am currently trying AP Quick Cure that has formalin and Malachite Green but it seems like it has been ineffective. They still have a healthy appetite.

I'd say that would be better for ich treatment. Can you get anything that treats fungal infections eg methylene blue.

Something that also treats gram negative bacterial infections would also be wise insurance.

Eg
http://www.aquariumguys.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk.html

Last edited:
That might be possible, but I have my doubts. I have 5 tetras in a 25 gallon tank, and I do 25% water changes twice a week. My water is about as clean as it gets with such a low bioload. They came from a dirty tank, and I thought it would clear up in my tank; however, it persisted. But this is a new tank. It should be completely cycled but my ammonia levels hover around .25 ppm due to the ADA Aqua Soil

i thought just a clean tank can cure fin rot. daily water changes and such.

Yes, worth a check always to see if a simple cure will work.

Also here there is a cotton poof on the mouth.

Bacterial plus fungal could well be possible and somewhat advanced.

The soil may not be helping.

Back
Top Bottom