Neon Tetras Are Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frosti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago, I got 4 neon tetras at petco, and after testing the pH and ammonia levels too much, I put the fish in. After 48 hours, one of the neon tetras started to float, and just wasn't as active as it was before, and sort of just floated in the filter. The color of a neon tetra was not there anymore, and it almost seemed like it was bitten. It was barely moving, so then I quarantined it and it would not eat, and later stopped moving. Also, it seems like the 2nd fish went missing, and I have no idea where it is. The ammonia level was at 0, and the ph level at 6.6 in a 12 gallon tank. There are still 2 fish that seem to be completely fine, showing no signs of bad health. I was planning on adding a few more neon tetras, and solving this problem, and I feel quite desperate. Thanks in advance!

I think with your 1 fish it could have been the stress of a new tank. As for the other one I don't know. Do you have a lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neon tetras are notorious for just dropping dead. There is even something called neon tetra disease. They just aren't the easiest fish to deal with for anyone. I'd try another type of tetra to be honest. I think you would have better luck then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try flame tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neons are pretty weak, because they have srewed genetics due to mass-breeding. People buy them for their colors and companies see that, so they just breed a few pairs and get a baziliion fish, even though by doing so they are messing up the whole supply of them...

Also, getting them from a major chain store like Petco isn't going to improve your chances: they don't really take great care of things.

But yeah. It more than likely wasn't you and it was just the fish.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Yeah, I decided to pick up 3 cardinal tetras, and they seem to be doing fine. Another neon tetra sadly dropped dead, so I guess maybe I should avoid getting fish at giant stores like petco. Hopefully this final fish is the strongest one, and can last me for a while. Thank you all for the help. And my tank does have a lid by the way.

Yeah, I decided to pick up 3 cardinal tetras, and they seem to be doing fine. Another neon tetra sadly dropped dead, so I guess maybe I should avoid getting fish at giant stores like petco. Hopefully this final fish is the strongest one, and can last me for a while. Thank you all for the help. And my tank does have a lid by the way.

They should be in schools of 6+, preferably 10... 3 will probably kill them of stress.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

I've never had problems with neon tetras, but i agree, inbreeding is a very bad thing that needs to stop in the fish hobby. Just look at how weak guppies have become, because they are nothing but related fish, all of them. Go for wild type fish that are still attractive, and set up the tank to mimic their natural habitat.... basically be like a zoo about it. You can even sound cool when you pronounce their scientific latin/greek names to guests or family. lol Too many catchy "glowfish" or brightly colored inbreed fish going around in the hobby.

Actually, that got me thinking and alas, the neon tetras look the same in the wild as they do in the aquarium trade, so some fish are truly pretty from nature and not manking. Look here.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 90
Arent those Cardinals?

Actually, that got me thinking and alas, the neon tetras look the same in the wild as they do in the aquarium trade, so some fish are truly pretty from nature and not manking. Look here.

And the larger stores wouldnt bother with wild caught when they can cheaply and easily produce a ton from breeding...

I agree, 6+ of any schooling type fish such as neons or cardinals is a must. Its funny though, everyone blames neons or Petco, ive bought groups of neons from Petco 4 separate times and never lost a fish. I'm not implying you did anything wrong, only that some people don't have this experience with neons and no clear answers appear as to why.

I agree, 6+ of any schooling type fish such as neons or cardinals is a must. Its funny though, everyone blames neons or Petco, ive bought groups of neons from Petco 4 separate times and never lost a fish. I'm not implying you did anything wrong, only that some people don't have this experience with neons and no clear answers appear as to why.

Well... TMRC. You sir, are either better at keeping Neons than me and some others (probable) or you were lucky (possible)

Ive had bad luck with Neons (and Black Neons) as a fish. They die in weeks and nip a lot. Even in bigger schools. My Betta has irreparable fin damage from them when they were in the 10 with him. He still does fine though, and he wasn't a show fish to start with. Mostly wanted him for his beautiful body colors.

And now i sound like an insensitive high-schooler... I promise, i really only like it for its personality...

Well... TMRC. You sir, are either better at keeping Neons than me and some others (probable) or you were lucky (possible)

Ive had bad luck with Neons (and Black Neons) as a fish. They die in weeks and nip a lot. Even in bigger schools. My Betta has irreparable fin damage from them when they were in the 10 with him. He still does fine though, and he wasn't a show fish to start with. Mostly wanted him for his beautiful body colors.

And now i sound like an insensitive high-schooler... I promise, i really only like it for its personality...

We all have our Achilles, for me its freshwater shrimp. Before I moved more into cichlids I kept a lot of community fish and neons always did well. Some other guys here keep them without trouble, I imagine the keepers water source quality and the neons origins are the big factor here.

We all have our Achilles, for me its freshwater shrimp. Before I moved more into cichlids I kept a lot of community fish and neons always did well. Some other guys here keep them without trouble, I imagine the keepers water source quality and the neons origins are the big factor here.

I think so on water source quality / chemistry as well. Still I take my hat off to you on keeping neons alive.

Here it seems common for tetras to not do that well.

I cant hardly keep a guppy alive even tho ive been raising them since 2008.
They are so inbreed its not funny, tho wild guppies and endlers are super easy to care for, fancies are so weak from the store they come down with whatever hits them first, you practically gotta keep them in a hospital tank with meds just to keep them alive long enough to get fry. Tetras are pretty easy, i have a feeling alot of people struggle with them because the chain pet stores sell sick fish.

I cant hardly keep a guppy alive even tho ive been raising them since 2008.
They are so inbreed its not funny, tho wild guppies and endlers are super easy to care for, fancies are so weak from the store they come down with whatever hits them first, you practically gotta keep them in a hospital tank with meds just to keep them alive long enough to get fry. Tetras are pretty easy, i have a feeling alot of people struggle with them because the chain pet stores sell sick fish.

That last sentence is especially true! A lot of tetra deaths really aren't the fault of the owner, many seem to come from the store with issues.

Fancy guppies have always done well for me too. Even your good old Petco guppies. There's actually a thread here detailing what fish people have had difficulty keeping, it mirrors this one. Some struggle with say neon tetras or guppies while others find those species easy to keep but struggle with angels or barbs. Its odd, but appears to be a pattern.

I think it has alot to do with the water, and where the local suppliers get the fish from, and how healthy the local suppliers keep their stores. I bought guppies from a legit "fish store" for like 4 dollars each, and they live for a year, i buy guppies from one of my local chain stores, and the came flat bellied with callamunus worms and die off in a few months.
ALso, high mineral/hard high PH water is known to have more bacteria and mould in it than soft water, (i mean once its declor ofc) even tho guppies like hard water, i think the water here is too hard and the pipes are too old, too many microbes and heavy metals. My mollies, goldfish and Tetras do fine, never any problems. I could probably keep guppies just fine, but i need to find a better source. My wife said sometimes the fish at petco just look flat bellied and tail up, that is a sure sign of intestinal nematodes. Especially in the winter months, guppies that are healthy are very rare around here.

Do not whatever you do get buenas Aires Tetras and i wouldn't go to petco, find a reputable lfs that quarantines their fish before they sell them, the Buenas Aires tetras get big and they are mean i would know i have to get rid of the 2 i have they have killed 1 turquoise rainbow and 2 penguin tetras.

Do not whatever you do get buenas Aires Tetras and i wouldn't go to petco, find a reputable lfs that quarantines their fish before they sell them, the Buenas Aires tetras get big and they are mean i would know i have to get rid of the 2 i have they have killed 1 turquoise rainbow and 2 penguin tetras.

Well if they arent in a suitable school they are much more aggressive... If you only had 2 in the tank i would have to say that would be an issue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom