new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello i recently got a 55 gallon aquarium from a friend of mine. i've had it set up for a week running. i have the walmart brand filter for 55 gallons idk exactly what it is it came with the tank. the water levels are at 0, ph is 7.5~8, water temp is 77.9 f. ""I recently bought 5 pearl gourami and introduced them into the water last night and currently 3 of them are swimming around the top together, one inside of my rock hidding place, and one is laying on the bottom not moving much. That is the fish i'm most concerned about should i be worried, exchange him for a different pearl? thx for any advice

you've had your tank running for a week? a tank should actually cycle for longer than that, you have to watch for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. do you have a test kit? if not i'd suggest getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes and PH. The sticks aren't very accurate. you're tank may not have even started cycling. cycling with fish is very dangerous...i know from experience, and i've learned my lesson, i'll never do it again.

Your tank is as said from above, not cycled. You should do atleast 60% water changes twice a day for about 2 weeks if you want any shot at keeping them alive, unless you can get some already seeded material from an established tank. if you are new to the hobby then trust me everyone has done it once.

+1. I too learned my lesson, but you now have two choices.
1) take them all back to the store, and do a fishless cycle.
If you can't or won't do that, then study this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Don't remember if that article mentions Prime or not, but get some of that too. It helps to detoxify Ammonia and Nitrite, the two big fish killers.
Water changes, water changes, water changes.

okay ill take your advice and get the api water test kit. also i have tetraaqua aqua safe isn't that as good as prime? also should i worry about the fish just sitting at the bottom or will it perk up? and lastly would safe start be good to help keep the fish safe?

i'm not firmiliar with a aqua safe, i use prime with no problems and i know alot of people on here use prime as well. if you can, possibly take the fish back to where you got them

okay so i went out bought a master test kit and tested the water. and it had .50 ppm ammonia, so i did a major water change added some more plants and filled it back up then added safestart to try it that way. my only other question is the poor fish that sits at the bottom as i only have 1 more day from pet supermarket to return him, he has eaten or moved much but he's still alive, while all the other pearl's started showing their nice pearly colors. what do you all think i should do with the sickly fish?

You can take him back, or try to nurse him back to health. The clean water should help him, unless he has a fungus, parasite or a bacterial infection.

I'd personally not take him back
The chances are the place where you bought it won't bother trying to nurse it back to health, they would just "file" it.
Of course I understand that you paid money for the fish, and there's a chance of a replacement, so if you think the fish is definitely a goner anyway, then go ahead and take it back.

also i have tetraaqua aqua safe isn't that as good as prime?

I used the Aqua Safe for a few years. I switched to Prime because you use less and it is cheaper. I never had any problems when I used the Tetra brand though.

I'll go ahead and post my opinion on Prime...I have used both Start Right and Prime, and my fish prefer Start Right by far. Both are conditioners, but Start Right is actually Aloe Vera.
I have done water tests before and after using Prime, and it doesnt seem to make a difference at all. Whereas the Start Right does. You can find Start Right at Walmart for $3

I have done water tests before and after using Prime, and it doesnt seem to make a difference at all. Whereas the Start Right does.

What were you testing for? What difference was there?

okay i was just looking at my fish and one of them had a red thing sticking out it's backside, and now i can see a little bit of brown sticking out

Sorry about your fish. :(
Is the new thing hanging out of his anus?
I don't like the Aquasafe for 2 reasons, it makes my water really bubbly and it does not last near as long as Prime. :)

ssa~ Like Meegosh said, what were you testing for? The Prime detoxifys the ammonia, nitrite and helps with the nitrate, so you will still get readings, even though they are less harmful for fish. Also, right on the front of the bottle it say "Provides Slime Coat," which is what the aloe does anyway.

wow the safe start stuff really works, this morning i tested the water about .50 ppm ammonia 0 ppm nitrite and 0 ppm nitrate, midday test same thing, and tonight i just tested and i have .25 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 5 ppm nitrate, should i assume i'm almost cycled since i'm seeing nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom