Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

NEW fish owner-Flame Tetra Sick

I am a first time fish owner. I purchased a used 30gal tank And all that went with it from a man online. I wasnít planning on adding fish until I had time to do a little research but he still had 2 flame tetras in the tank and asked if I would want them. Not wanting him to just kill them I agreed to take them.
After getting home I filled the tank with tap water. Started the filter and added a half a cap of the primer he had given me. I waited until the tank was at 78 degrees and then added the fish.
Later that evening I noticed that one of the fish had a pink thing coming out of their belly.
It eventually came all the way out and can be seen laying at the bottom of the tank. I thought it was a worm at first but itís not alive. I have no idea whatís wrong and what I need to do. Please help. Iíve added photos to help better explain.

1~What type of fish is affected? Flame Tetra.
2~What are your tank parameters? Please give exact values. 78 degrees, I donít know how to test the water for other chemical levels yet.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 30 gallon tank. Set it up for 2 days.
4~What type of filtration are you using? . Fluval ?
5~How many fish are in the tank? Only have the 2 tetras in the tank.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Water is new.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Feeding once a day with Tetra flakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E522609-293C-4FFD-BF4E-80833CF9A672.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	317852   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	317854  

Attached Images

Old 08-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The fish could have parasites. Did this come out of the anus or from the body of the fish?

Camallanus, Capillaria worms are often seen in the anus of the fish.

Internal parasites can be treated. Hikari PraziPro is popular and has good ratings.

That fish has a bent spine and it could have other disease, issues.

Grab up that thing that came out of the fish and get it out of the tank.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Make sure to wash your hands after touching any tank water. If you have any cuts /sores on your hands make sure to use gloves, to be on the safe side.

The kitchen tool turkey baster might come in handy, and then use only for the fish tanks!

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile Thank you!

Thank you! I appreciate your reply.

Tags
fish, flame, ick, new fish, sick, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com