new gourami laying on bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brand new flame gourami is laying on his side on the bottom of the tank breathing quickly. What is wrong? Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121017_155043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121017_155043.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 422
Mine did that too after putting him in my new 30G a day later he died :( . Is your tank cycled? Did you check the paramaters? What are your levels at? How did you acclimate him in to the new tank? What other fish do you have?

Awwww poor thing I think she's not well :(

U might want to check ur water if its cycled :)

Aww, that's not good.

Did you literally just buy it, or has it been a few days?

That is usually a bad sign of a very stressed fish.

Being a gourami, do you have lots of plant/structure cover at the top of the tank? Were there hiding places for it to be while it got used to the tank? Was it being harassed by any other fish?

If all seems well in the tank, you may have gotten a sick or overly stressed fish to begin with and the addition to a new tank scenario may have been too much for him.

Yes my tank is cycled, this is my third tank, parameters are great, I didn't drip acclimate but I floated his bag and exchanged a small amount of his water for mine every 10 minutes for almost an hour. I bought him on Sunday. I have hornwort at the top and lots of plants in random spots and a large piece of driftwood that provides plenty of cover. His tank mates are just some tetras a pair of gbrs and some snails. I'm not worried about any of those things, the problem is not in my tank I'm just wondering if there's anything to do because if not, I'm prepared to euthanize the poor guy and get my money back. The store I bought him from had only one other flame in with him, and it was hanging out in the back. A couple weeks before that, there were probably 5 or 6 in there but one had dropsy.

I would take him back, See if they will give you the money back or atleast exchange him for a healthier looking gourami.

If I take him back the way he is, he will just suffer until he dies. Why not put him down painlessly rather than let him suffer and die in one tank or the other?

Unless some one on here knows of a way to save him, i hate to say it but he might not make it anyway. Atleast if you bring him back theres a chance to get a refund/new fish instead.

Maybe it would give someone else the chance to help him. There are people that purposely take in sick fish to make them better.

I was going to put him down and then take him back. I've tested the pet stores water, if I take him back the way he is, he'll just die there anyway, but slowly. And I've treated many a sick fish, I just can't see anything wrong with him besides laying on the bottom. I can't treat if I can't see what the problem is, I mean I figured this would happen. All of his tankmates at the lfs died except one. How do I know this? Because when I was buying him, the girl said "I don't know why these guys keep dyin. These two are all that's left."

paytertot said:
I was going to put him down and then take him back. I've tested the pet stores water, if I take him back the way he is, he'll just die there anyway, but slowly. And I've treated many a sick fish, I just can't see anything wrong with him besides laying on the bottom. I can't treat if I can't see what the problem is, I mean I figured this would happen. All of his tankmates at the lfs died except one. How do I know this? Because when I was buying him, the girl said "I don't know why these guys keep dyin. These two are all that's left."

With that comment you should have passed on any from that shipment : / sorry..

Yes you're right I should have, but I thought I'd give him a chance. :/

Basically my question is this-
Is there anything here that is treatable (i don't see anything but I thought I'd ask), or is he pretty much done for?

Honestly I would say time is the only thing that's gonna help at this point.. he's either gonna make it or he's not :(

Back
Top Bottom