New member with aquarium disease problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tygrace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I am an old school aquarium enthusiast from way back. My tank is 32 years old, although it has been moved MANY times! I almost never have disease problems. In fact, over the years there have been times in my life where I have totally ignored my tank for a week or more at a time, with no negative issues.

I have a 55 community tank. I have a low grade bacterial infection, but I do not know enough to determine if it is gram pos or gram neg. I have been treating with Melafix off and on for 2 months. The symptoms still persist, taking about 1 fish every 2 weeks. The fish appear to be very healthy: active, eating, fins at full sail, but then they show a white bump or growth, (usually around right pectoral joint), and then holes or pockets around head or face.

I have scaleless fish and vegetation I must protect. What medication would you prescribe?

Please help!
Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Moved to FW unhealthy fish forum.

To me, it sounds more like your fish are suffering from Hole in the Head disease to me. This is a disorder that is caused by the fish not receiving proper nutrition in their food (at least I believe that is correct), you might want to research that.

As for the bacteria being gram positive or gram negative - determining that requires a fairly simple test, but it does require that you have the proper tools and stains on hand to test - bunsen burner or alcohol burner, slide, petri dish, agar, incubater, and four specific chemical solutions; Grams iodine solution, crystal violet stain, alcohol, and safranin stain. Not usually something the typical hobbiest has on hand.

Most likely you will have to determine the type of bacteria based on the symptoms of the disease that you are seeing.

The best way for us to help you is to have you list a few things. Post your exact parameters. ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. What are all the fish in the tank? What kind of fish are affected? How often do you do water changes and how much each time? Aside from the melafix, what do you add into the tank? You could have a few diseases and these things will help us help you.

It would also be helpful if you could post a picture. It may be HITH disease or it might be columnaris affecting the entire tank. Are the holes cottony at all?

Thank you for responding! I went to a petstore to look at a chart there and I now thinkit is HITH disease, too, but my water is not bad. I was told HITH disease is a parasite. Is that true? I have pictures of my aquarium and a close up of my sick fish, but how do I post that?

Also, I just found the chart that HN1 sent me earlier and I'm reading it. Thanks! Trying to comb thorough so much good advice. The affected fish is a blue ram that still behaves happy and normal, but the symptoms look just when my large angel had it and died. I also have 2 other angels, 2 other rams, 7 neons, a red-tailed shark, an African butterfly, a tiretrack eel, a pleco and a yo yo loach.(I had 2 raphaels that were over 11 years old, but they died, too!) Everyone gets along together fine, but it is true that the red-tailed shark will chase fish around "once in a while"....not often. I can't imagine it's my water quality, as I am so much better than I used to be at water changes, but I'll do another water change tomorrow. If there is a way I can attach a jpg, please tell me and I will do so promptly. Thanks again all!

To post a picture choose the reply to thread button as it gives you the full menu. Scroll down until you see the attach files part. Click on manage attachments.

No offense but saying your water is not bad does not tell us anything at all. Specific ammonia, nitrite and nitrate amounts is very helpful to us.

HITH disease is not a parasite, however it is quite commonly brought on by a parasite Hexamita. This is not always the case mind you.

This is an excellent link to an article on HITH disease and Hexamita. Freshwater Hole in the Head Disease Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

First thing to do is to do a 50% water change and add dechlorinator. Regardless of whether you see it or not the red tailed shark may be chasing the other fish and causing stress which can cause tremendous problems. Do you have any live plants in the tank?

My tank and my sick Ram

I have attached 2 pictures...I hope. Guess I'll know when I hit submit. I do not have anything to test water yet. If anything, the tank is acidic from the plants and driftwood, but my tap water< (dechlorinated of course), is alkaline and usually balances it out after my weekly water changes of 1/3. I know that from years past when I DID have a pH test kit. The water here is hard and alkaline, but the plants and driftwood soften and buffer the water. So, I am still reading the information you've kindly given me. I haven't had the chance to sit down and look at it this weekend until now, but I suppose the red-tailed shark could be stressing them. I just am surprised because I have never had this issue in over 30 years with this tank. I've had these types of fish living in harmony before, I mean, so that is why I am surprised by the suggestion. I've had bullies before, but never HITH disease. In fact, the only disease I ever did have was ich and I easily triumphed over that. My son is going to help me do a 50% water change this evening. I am reluctant to exchange my red-tailed shark for store credit or another fish because he is so beautiful. Do you think even more plants would relieve the fish of some stress? I will purchase a pH test kit soon. I have 2 power heads appropriate for a 55 gal tank on the under gravel filter and a pump with sirstones for the other 2 lift tubes. Do you think I should increase the air ratio on the power heads to create more bubbles?

As always, thanks for the advise,
Tammy

Attachments

• My tank_3_3_12.JPG
    My tank_3_3_12.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Sick Ram.JPG
    Sick Ram.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 62
More plants would not hurt that is for sure. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like HITH disease. Have you seen any of the fish poo white and stringy? That might be a sign of Hexamita. Adding more air bubbles is a choice thing, not necessary at all.

Since you are using a UGF, getting a water test would be extremely beneficial. The Aquarium Pharmacueticals master test kit is very inexpensive online.UGF's can cause nitrate build ups and need to be monitored to make sure that you keep the numbers low enough.

I assume you live in the States? Take a look at the price of the test kit here. API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Master Test Kits

Back
Top Bottom