New Oscars dont seem happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efeeley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got two new oscars.They just dont seem happy Temp 74 ammon .2 and pH is 8.Could pH be to high?If so what is best way to adjust . in .PS tank is 20 gal oscars are 1.5 inch.Tank also has one amazon redtail cat 2 inch (ready for 6ft tank in future).Thanks for advice in advance

Well 20gals isnt big enough for any kind of oscar for starters as oscars should be in 70gal and up tanks. Also get your ammonia down and Oscars like slightly acidic water.

well, try raising temp to like, 76, or 78? i dont know about the pH but i think its fine. And 20 gallons is way too small for 2 oscars, let alone one, despite the size IMO. And the cat probably doesnt help either, for amount of space...

did you get them at an lfs or petco/petsmart? And is the redtail cat very active? If its too active, it might stress the oscars out.

efeeley you really need to take the fish out and go with smaller fish. If you want to keep Oscars get a 70gal tank and theyll be plenty happy.

Hi efeeley.

While I do agree with the others here, I'd like to ask a few questions. First off, when will the new 6 ft tank be cycled and ready for fish? If it isn't in a few months, I'd take the fish back because you will continue to have some problems. Oscars need open space, and I'm assuming you know, can get over 14 inches long.

About your water quality, your problem now is probably ammonia and overall poor condition. Do a 50% water change and see if they perk up. Ideally you want ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrites at 0 ppm, and nitrates less than 20 ppm. Do you have a test kit for nitrite and nitrate?

Finally, 74F is bit low. I'd raise it up to about 78-80F and see if that perks them up as well.

Best of luck with the Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom