Nitrite issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20 gallon tank is having nitrite issues. All the other tests came out perfect. So how do I remedy this. No live plants in the tank at this time.

Ashley. said:
My 20 gallon tank is having nitrite issues. All the other tests came out perfect. So how do I remedy this. No live plants in the tank at this time.

How long has your tank been set up? Do you have fish in it? If its cycling nitrites are normal when close to the end. I had nitrites for 2 weeks with my 10g fish in cycle. Water changes are needed to bring it down. What is the actual reading?

shellieca said:
How long has your tank been set up? Do you have fish in it? If its cycling nitrites are normal when close to the end. I had nitrites for 2 weeks with my 10g fish in cycle. Water changes are needed to bring it down. What is the actual reading?

^^^^^ took the words right outta the convicts mouth or was that you in my head? lol.

Seriously those are spot on questions. Answer those and we may be able to figure this out.

It's been up 3 weeks and there are zebra barbs in it.

It's a 20 gallon. I have been doing 25% changes daily right now

Convict2161 said:
You may need to do 50% water changes to get that number down.

+1 and you may need to do more than one in a day. Nitrites are dangerous to your fish so getting them down is necessary. 3 weeks? Hopefully that means they're coming to the end!

Just did all my tests 2/3 of the tanks are 0 now my 10 g tank it 3.0. Guess I do water change on it again.

Back
Top Bottom