Not sure what this is?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixiegirl89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought one of my loaches dies since I hadn't seen him in 3 day. But today he showed up and he looks like this! Eyes are bulged and glazed over. Also has very thin like threads on the body. Some of the other fish have it too but only the threads. Plus my GBR has lost some of her dorsal fins. Any ideas? I looked up velvet but not all the symptoms are present. Sorry the pics are sideways, I don't know how to flip them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394359678570.jpg
    1394359678570.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1394359695343.jpg
    1394359695343.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 1394359708821.jpg
    1394359708821.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 88
Please,

What type of loach is that?

Define threads? Are they under the skin (like blood vessels) or coming from the skin trailing in the water? (Not so clear in the picture)

Blood vessels-ammonia related (most likely)
From the skin-fungal issue (most likely)
Cloudy eyes, normally water quality issue, some loaches prefer cold water like temperate not tropical.

What did you do to the tank in the last four weeks?

Some idea of water parameters could be useful too.

Temp, pH, and nitrates to start with and a complete stock list, types and numbers of. . .

The threads are coming from the skin trailing the water. My water parameters are - Ph. 7.3 Ammo. 0 ppm Nitrates- 5 ppm Nitrite- 0ppm. I have only done 2 water changes in the past 4 weeks both at 35%. In the tank with the dojo loach is another dojo loach but he looks totally fine.
5 Kuhli Loaches
1 Angel
3 Platy
1 GBR
1 Gold Ram
4 cory cats
3 tetra
6 guppies
4 neons
2 baloon electric blue rams
2 tiger barbs

The temp in the tank is at 80°
Everyone else in the tank looks happy and healthy aside from the 3 with threads. Nobody has lost their appetite either.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weather loach/Dojo loach, I've just selected that as a possible species for my temperate tank.

I think you may be running hot for them. 80f=26C some places say 24c some say 25c. Middle of the natural range is about 22c=68f.
(This allows for a bit of daily fluctuation, the upper limit is really the upper limit) also they like very fast highly oxygenated water, this is why they are on my short list, a perfect addition to the rheophilic temperate tank.

You would need medical attention if you ran at +/- 4'C for any length of time.

(That's my guess)
aim for 7-10 times per hour tank turnover. Plus reduced temperature. This may cause problems with the rams and maybe a few other species that are truly tropical fish.

Consider another system.
As with all things in nature it is survival of the fittest.

You may have some other compatibility issues you should look into.

Back
Top Bottom