parasites!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can someone list some external/internal parasites that will cause a fish to flash against gravel/objects but yet show no worms/spots or anything else on the body. Are there specific parasites that only attack the gills? if so what are they called and whats the best medication to treat such parasites. Keep in mind the following are the meds I already tried: aquarisol, clout, ridich+,coppersafe, cupramine.

Thanks

There are a number of parasites that could cause your fish to 'flash' without anything being obvious externally. One that comes to mind immediately would be gill flukes. You don't say what kinds of fish you're dealing with but one good anti-parasite medication that I've had success with on both external and internal non-protozoan parasites is Jungle Parasite Clear.

The fish that are currently doing the flashing are 3 botia loaches and 1 Banded Leporinus. I think this might be the gill flukes or other parasites attacking the gills because thats the place that seems to be irritating/itching. It looks like they have an itch under the gill covers because thats the part of their body they scratch against gravel, mouth and both sides of their head/gills. wouldnt all the meds I tried in the past help though? all the meds I tried are for external parasites. I also have salt in the tank now and the fish are doing good with salt in the tank and I guess it does help some what but I still see a lot of flashing. I clean the gravel every 4 days and do a 20% water change and nothing seems to be working. I guess I will try the Jungle parasite clear. Thanks for your help

Wouldn't gill flukes/parasites make the fish breath more rapidly and have them hang near the surface gasping for air? I've had this flashing problem for a while now but none of the fish have problem breathing and none of them stay near the surface. Could this possibly be something other then parasites? The water in the tank should be good as I do 20% water changes every 4-5 days and clean the gravel real well. I check the water for ammonia/nitrite every 2 weeks and it always shows 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and the pH is around 7.0. I dont know what to do anymore. :|

Back
Top Bottom