Parrot Fish eye troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Machete

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My blood parrot is having issues. Been in tank for at least 6 months. She's been pretty inactive lately, not eating much, and hanging out at the bottom of the tank. Today noticed abnormality on the right eye. Pics attached w normal left eye for comparison. Tank mates acting normally. 4 silver dollars (pretty docile) and 2 phantom tetra (was 3 but lost one over weekend, not sure what happened, but they have a history of bullying each other). About a week ago scrubbed some stubborn algae from tank deco and treated with api algaefix per instructions. Have added this before with success and no issues. No other changes or additions to tank or diet. Any clues? Appreciate any insight.

37G tank w/ seachem tidal 55 filter. Water temp at surface 80F. Tank well cycled. Ammonia zero, nitrates zero, regular pwc, try and keep nitrites 40ppm or less.

Attachments

• 20210217_190022.jpg
    20210217_190022.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210217_185937.jpg
    20210217_185937.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 45
Could be the beginning of a bacterial infection causing eye cloud or pop eye. Watch it closely tomo, as it will worsen rapidly. Prob why it has an arrested appetite also

Sadly, or thankfully, things escalated quickly and she's gone. The eye cleared up on its own almost completely, but noticed some other white spots on her side, almost a small bulge under the skin. Also a dark spot on the forehead, and a lot of her orange had faded significantly. Tank mates are all fine. Still not sure what the issue was. C'est la vie.

I'm so sorry. I just lost a big severum a couple of weeks ago. Noticed an eye infection, put it in a hospital tank and began treatment, it didn't make it thru the night. Ime 2 things about bacterial infections are, 1 they are prob pretty far along by the time they manifest into something we can see and diagnose, and 2, they are prob 75 or 80% fatal. It's hard to treat some of that stuff. I'm sure you did the best you could, I'm sorry it didn't pull thru

Back
Top Bottom