Platy poop like growth and a swim bladder problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacktyde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Platy have anchor worms

Sorry, this is going to be long.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
So I have two issues,

#1 is my main concern. He’s a Panda Platy that has something on his dorsal fin. Looks like poop, but it seems to be attached at his body? He's acting normal and eating fine. Not rubbing against anything that I’ve seen. He’s actually the most active one in my tank by a long shot. I just noticed it Sunday. Could it be a fungus or something? Anchor Worm?

#2 is a Red Wag Tail Platy that I think got ahold of a partial algae wafer, ate too much and messed up her swim bladder. This happened Wednesday. She started out totally clamped and bloated at the top of the tank, swimming sideways. I treated it with a 3 day fast, then a deshelled pea on the fourth day (half a pea twice that day), then back to normal feeding in the fifth day. I also (slowly) raised the temp a bit and added some aquarium salt. She’s much, much better, swims around and eats. But sometimes she'll randomly jerk up or down like she’s off kilter. Her fins and tail are still clamped sometimes. Should I do another fast/pea? Or is it maybe something else entirely?

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temperature 77° (normally 74°)
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates ~5
Gh 9°
Kh 7°

I use Searchem Equilibrium and cuttlebones to increase hardness and Prime for chlorine. My tap water is super soft.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 Gallon tank set up for 3 months. I cycled it using old filter media from an established tank and 100% ammonia.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Hagen AquaClear 70 rated at 300 GPH. It has a sponge at the intake to avoid fry accidents.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
7 Platy (2 Male, 5 Female) 1.5”-2” Maybe some fry, but I haven’t seen any for awhile, have a squared off female though.
9 Amano Shrimp
2 Nerite Snails

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I do 25% water changes/gravel vacuum weekly on Saturday

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Panda Platy I got two weeks ago, Red Wag four weeks ago. Floating method. Float for 30 minutes, dump into a large container, slowly add tank water for an hour, scoop fish out with a net and place into the tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nope.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently
Other than the aforementioned fast, no changes. I feed them Omega One flakes, New Life Spectrum Optimum flakes, and brine shrimp as a treat on Saturday. Amano shrimp get little bits of Tetra algae wafers and a bit of snail jello on Saturday. We have a fast day on Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_20170516_153446958_BURST001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170516_153446958_BURST001 - Copy.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20170516_153647839_BURST001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170516_153647839_BURST001 - Copy.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170516_153909582_BURST000_COVER_TOP - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170516_153909582_BURST000_COVER_TOP - Copy.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170516_153934510 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170516_153934510 - Copy.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 69
Update: The... thing... on the Panda Platy I'm 99% sure was an Anchor Worm. Ew. It came off in two pieces, the black part was *very* much alive. Need to figure out what I can do to prevent any potential egg spreading.

Red Wag is still a little twitchy from time to time. Hm.

Attachments

• IMG_20170516_214710711 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170516_214710711 (1).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 61
Yucko! I've only ever used salt on live worms. Not sure about treating for eggs. The salt worked though for the live worms.

Yeah, I understand salt dips will get them too, and the lowest temperature the fish can handle will slow their breeding cycle. I have a bit of aquarium salt and Melafix in there now, Platy of course has a hole from where it was attached. :/

I ordered some Hikari CryoPro for treatment and a sponge filter for the quarenteen tank I'll be getting before any more fish are purchased. Keeping an eye on them. Hopefully I won't see any more....

Back
Top Bottom