Please help cichlid owners!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so a couple months ago I got an Agazzizii Bitaneada (Dwarf Cichlid). He was always so out going in my tank! He is the only mail in my tank. He is hiding in a moon cave that is barly big enough for him. He doesn't come out to eat like he used to. He will eat food then spit it out. I feed flake 2 times a day and blood worms instead of flake as a treat.
His tank mates are:
1 female Agazzizii
11 cardinal tetras
2 guppies 2 platies
1 l134 pleco
1 albino bn pleco
Tests
Ite 0
Ate 5
Ammonia 0

Cichlids that attempt to eat but spit food generally are suffering from a digestive issue, this can be anything from internal parasites to constipation. I normally recommend force feeding pellets soaked in distilled water with a 3% Epsom salt solution administered with a pipette but if the fish is to small then I'd treat the water. I would purchase Clout by Mardel or General Cure from API, follow directions and perform 2-3 treatments depending on which medication you choose. I would also add Epsom salts dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water, then replace the only the salt for the amount of water you've removed during water changes.

I'm not a bloodworm fan, I know a lot of people who use them but you'll NEVER find them in my fish room. They have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process which could potenitally get stuck in the intestinal tracks irritating the walls allowing flagellated protazoas to take hold causing digestive problems. Even master breeders like Jack Watley have given up on feeding bloodworms due to the potential problems they pose to fish. I would recommend New Life Spectrum pellets or flakes since they contain high quality easily digestible ingredients which WILL NOT cause any digestive issues even when overfeeding.

Last edited:
Ok good to know. He doesn't spit out the blood worms only the flake. Could it be he just doesn't like the flake? Any ideas on how I can get him to not be shy anymore? He used to be so outgoing!

Some fish like people are naturally shy, normally active tankmates such as the cardinals are enough to show them it's safe to swim about so you've got that part covered well. Does he show any interest in the female? If so I'd consider adding one more to peak his interest further.

In regards to the food what brand of flake are you feeding? Bloodworms really can spoil a fish so my suggestion would be to stop feeding them and eventually the fish will get hungry and eat the flake foods, this nay take a week or two but don't worry if he's healthy and not suffering from any digestion issues he will eat!

Back
Top Bottom