Please help. Gourami injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Earlier today my dwarf gourami was struggling to swim lying at the bottom of the aquarium. I put him into a tipper ware container and he is lying there. When I walk up he will swim and get oxygen etc. I put peas in the container I case it was a bladder issue but he doesn't want to eat. I think his tail fin is ripped and is the cause. I want to know if he is ok and if he can get oxygen. Should I put him back into his 20g home that is heated. Room temp is about 70 degrees.

Attachments

• image-3178096308.jpg
    image-3178096308.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 109
If you leave him in the Tupperware he is most certainly going to die, what are your tank parameters? How often do you do water changes? How long have you had this fish? Has it had any other symptoms prior to this ?

Thanks for replying. He survived in the container overnight. My tank is a 20g my water is not in the best condition but other dish are activity swimming and fine. My thoughts as to why he would be injured is the fact that he is not eating. There are two other gourami in the 20g 3 platys and a African dwarf frog. I heard of swim bladder and tuberculosis. Could it be one of those?

In addition only the top portion of the fin really moves when he swims. One side seems to bulge out more but I'm not sure.

Ok I need to know what you mean by not in the best of conditions for your water... Also tell me more about the other gouramis in your tank

I have been inconstant with my changes and the water is a bi cloudy. Do you want a test strip reading for actual numbers? The other two gourami are about four inches and bought together I have never seen them attack this fish, but as this gourami is much smaller m I would not rule it out.

I also purchased a tank and medicine for the tank.

Below is a picture of the 20g and the gourami.

Attachments

• image-3257003628.jpg
    image-3257003628.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1139444713.jpg
    image-1139444713.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 80
I have been inconstant with my changes and the water is a bi cloudy. Do you want a test strip reading for actual numbers? The other two gourami are about four inches and bought together I have never seen them attack this fish, but as this gourami is much smaller m I would not rule it out.

I also purchased a tank and medicine for the tank.

Below is a picture of the 20g and the gourami.

A test strip reading is better than nothing, but not ideal. When you get the chance, invest in a liquid test kit. Lets start trying to improve that water. That can't be helping. Then is the only thing you see on him the tear in his tail? Is he bloated or have any spots on him or anything unusual?

He is a bit bloated and his front fins redend. I am starting to think bacterial infection. The medicine says it will clear this. I am also planning on doing a water change to the 20g as well as adding the medicine to that.

His top is a bit darkened but seems to be getting better than when I first noticed him.

I am 90% sure that the fins are normally white. When I look at the, now they are a orange see through color. My original picture of him shows this.

This same thing happened to mine last week. He got himself stuck in a decoration and damaged his air bladder slowly became a bigger problem over a week. Warmer water temps and algae discs helped mine, but he passed yesterday very suddenly so I don't know I'd they did anything positive or just prolonged his life for a week.

My gourami phased away today. Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. At least he died in his own more peaceful tank.

Back
Top Bottom