Please help... No Idea what is going on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peteycrack20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 paradise fish that have these weird marks on them, see pictures attached. Does anyone have any ideas on what this is? TIA

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability - see above
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? - Nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 20ppm, ammonia 0ppm, pH 7.6, temp fluctuates between 76-80 currently at 80
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? - 75 gallon, about 2 months. Yes I cycled before adding fish and had the fish store test my water before adding fish.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Fluval 70 HOB, hydor pro 250
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 12 fish total. 2 silver dollars, 2 danio, 2 bully head somethings, 2 albino plecos, 2 paradise fish, 1 red tail shark, 1 gourami. They all are about 3 inches in size
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Monday, i vacuumed. I usually do at least 1 water change and vacuum a week removing 50% of the water.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? about 1 month. Floated bag for 15-20 mins, than added tank water to bag and floated for another 15-20 mins.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? everything was new when put in the tank
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? tetramin tropical fish food

Anybody have any ideas on what may be going on? Please see pictures for what I am referring to. Its much easier to see on the one up close, the blue paradise fish was a little camera shy today.

Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• DSC05264.jpg
    DSC05264.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC05269.jpg
    DSC05269.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC05288.jpg
    DSC05288.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 92
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 87
Anybody have any ideas on what may be going on? Please see pictures for what I am referring to. Its much easier to see on the one up close, the blue paradise fish was a little camera shy today.

Thanks
Sam

Welcome to AA Petey!

It looks more like a bacterial infection such as Aeromonas hydrophila, I would use a broad spectrum medication designed for gram negative(there are also gram positive) infections. These would work well,

Triple Sulfa.
Kanamycin.
Nitrofurazone.
Maracyn-1 and Maracyn-2(use both).
Formalin.
Furan 2.
Erythromycin.
Tetracycline.
Kanaplex (can be applied to affected area).

fungus. net them and treat them with hydrogen peroxide with cotton swab on affected area.

I don't see any signs of a fungal infection.

Last edited:
Thanks Hukit. I surfed around here for months before finally getting a tank.

Are these products something that I just dump in the water? I noticed the last one has to be applied to the are, but how do the others work? If it is something that I put in the water, how will it affect the other fish?

Thanks

Yes with the exception of the last they are all water treatments. I would also treat the entire tank since the other fish have already been exposed to the pathogen. Follow the directions performing 2-3 treatments, also make sure you remove any carbon source as that will remove the medications.

I would go your local store to see what brands they carry and go from there.

Medications are very very expensive to treat a full tank. I would look at getting a rubbermaid tote and keeping the fish in there during treatment. It will save you a lot of money on meds.

I wish I would have known that before. Spent $45 bucks to treat the tank. I guess I am justifying it as better safe than sorry.

I ended up picking up Maracyn 2. Thats what the guys at the lfs recommended. 7 packs a day for 5 days. I pulled the carbon out of my filters before treating, treated yesterday at 1pm. Woke up this morning to a cloudy tank, this is normal correct? How cloudy will it get?

You can order maracyn 2 on amazon for less. I'm not sure about the cloudiness, but think it's normal. I believe 24 pack around $9 + s&h so you want to order early/have it on hand.. just for future reference. It was $25 or 30 at my lfs for the 24 pack!

Thanks Haley, I'll definitely be doing that.

So I treated as the instructions said on the box, and the fish still have the "marks," any ideas on what to do now??

Back
Top Bottom