Possible Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonnyM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I did do a search but nothing immediately came up with the fish I have together (probably the problem). Everything here has been advised by my local store.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I received a 10g fish tank as a birthday present. I went down to my local pets at home and they advised me on what fish I should have. So after a week of allowing my tank to settle and stuff I came home with 2 pearl gouramis (which I think are both female, judging by the length of the dorsal fin). So they were fine, a little bit of chasing around and stuff but it looked ok to me. Another week passes and i then add 5 ruby tetras ( i was gonna go with neons for the colour but the women in the store said they were too small for the pearls. So they have been in for about a week now and I've noticed some smalls bits of fins missing.
One pearl has a so nipping of the tail fin and the other pearl has some nipping of the pectoral fin and 2 of the tetras have some dorsal fin marks.
It doesn't look overly bad or serious to me, yet and I can't tell who's doing the damage as they seem to be getting along fine to be honest. They are all swimming together and feeding ok and stuff.

Now after I have done my own research, which i should have done instead of asking and going along with the store, which in my defense the women said she had worked there for 16 years. I've determined the tank is too small for the pearls. I do intend to get a bigger one at some point but for now this is what i have.
My water is fine, the tank looks clear i'm doing my water changes and stuff. There is a bunch of plants in there which have now been nearly totally destroyed now by the pearls i think.

Can anyone with more experience than me offer some advice. What's the best course of action here? How much nipping is too much? Will it run its course and be ok or will it get worse. I don't want to stress or damage my fish above what is normal interactions.

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks everyone. :)

Pearls are great fish and one of the MOST peaceful gouramis.
You are right they are and will only keep getting too big for your tank.
If you had a 30 long or 55g maybe the 2 girls would be ok,but that tight they are not going to be friends..They may be nippers in stressed enviroments....
Ruby tetras or Ruby barbs??I have not seen Ruby tetras,but if your fish are Ruby barbs they are the nippers and also will be too big for tank.
This isn't really your fault as "the industry" has set you up with one of the most popular tanks that doesn't fit much of what they promote!
If you want to stick with your 10 look at 'nano' fish like neons but even smaller.
Hang in there,we all started somewhere!

Thank you for your reply.
They are definitely ruby tetras, there is surprisingly little information about keeping them online i find, they are only 3cm long the pearls are bout 5cm long.
So is the nipping down to the size of the tank? for the size of the fish at the minute, there seems like plenty of space for them. I dont know though. What will have to do, see if can take the pearls back to the store?

They sound small and I just looked at the ruby tetras.They look like good fish for your tank.
I would take the pearls back and DON"T get a dwarf or any other gourami.
Possibly a licorice or honey if they are true Sp. as they are very small fish also.
Good find on the tetras IMO...They did ok with the pearls also jut a size thing...
So are you testing you water while cycling?

yeah i'm testing every 3 days and doing maybe 20% water changes weekly. I have a filter boost additive i put in after the water changes. Everything looks good water wise. I just removed the eaten plants and put plastic ones in for now so there is places to hide.

yeah the tetras look good in the tank and are a very interesting looking fish with their colour scheme.

Ive been watching for over an hour and there is no sign of aggression from anyone, the two gouramis were banging into each other, it looked a bit like kissing, but neither one was more aggressive than the other and neither one looks scared of the other.

What would you recommend as a good size for the pearls as i would like to keep them if possible.

A 30gallon long tank would be minimum IMO..That is 36" long tanks and full grown the pearls would look great.
The lip locking is them fighting as silly as it looks...They may not harm each other much but they are not playing...
Pearls are my favorite gourami of all.I have bred them before..
I think they are the champagne of gouramis and ALWAYS my recommendation to those looking for a nice peaceful centerpiece fish in tanks large enough....
Right after Xmas I believe your store will have a $1 per gallon sale like petco does...
You can order all the equipment online way cheap and make out like a "bandit" on a nice tank!Most stores go to 55g for the sale and the petcos don't do 30l but they do 40b which is one of the best tanks going...Regulary $140++ for $40!
Look for the $ per gallon sale!
i can't stay away from them!:hide:

I'm in the Uk but i will certainly keep my eye out! thank you for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom