Ragged guppy fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
:( Yesterday I noticed the true sign of ICK..I started treatment for that.(thanks Alli) with the increasing temp method..went everywhere for salt today all out.. :roll:

Today I noticed my only guppy has a ragged tail right at the tip(he looked fine last night) ..He is in with 4 painted glass tetras... they get a long fine.

I had my water tested today and the p.h is high...Would this cause his tail to be like this?I have been looking through the old post before I ask..

I have a f/w 20gal with a penguin 125 filter and corner filter
underground filter and lots and lots of air bubbling going on...
Thanks for everyone's help
Karla

A high pH isn't as stressful as some folks think (unless we are talking over 8.0); its a rapid change in ph that stresses fish badly. I doubt its the pH thats causing the stress (again unless its really high or has changed quickly) thats resulting in fin rot; I'll bet its the stress of the ich or the water parameters; I'm guessing the tests came out ok tho? Did you happen to record the actual numbers?

The high temp method is a great one when there are other issues raising their heads; I would suggest at this point to keep the water pristine. You'll want to do frequent water changes anyway to remove any encysted parasites in the water column or substrate anyway. Clean fresh water is always a good thing, and sometimes is all thats needed to help a fish heal.

Thanks again Alli.You have just been great to help so.. :D
I did the water change tonight..
They are just sorta hanging still with their fins down..Mr.guppy doesn't look so good. I hope I didn't do more damage...
Poor things..they are suffering for my ignorance...I'm crossing my fingers they will feel better...
I will continue to read all the post and learn all I can...A great site... :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom