Rapid deterioration of skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jack36547

Aquarium Advice Newbie
At least that's all I can think of to describe it. I recently purchased 4 rummynose tetras from my lfs, for the first day everything was great. They were all schooling wonderfully with my existing rummynose and seemed quite happy. I purchased the fish last Friday and as of now, 4:30 Monday, only one remains and is currently knocking on deaths door. No changes in diet or anything else that I know of.

All of the effected fish became quite lethargic, and within about 6 to 8 hours of doing so developed white tails. Not a very good explanation I know but i really looked like the fish from about half way back had been cooked. Tail fins started to shrivel up into nothing, and white spots appeared on a few mouths. Water levels are very good pH about 7.4, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite probably around 0.5 ppm, and nitrate around 20-40 ppm. This is a 55 gallon tank which has been running for a week with water and filter media from two other tanks of mine. ( No problems in the other tanks at all) Currently running a Marineland Emperor 400 and housing 2 angels, 4 Bolivian rams, and 9 rummynose tetras. I've been changing water on my normal schedule of about 5-10 gallons every day to every other day. Today I did a 50% water change and added some aquarium salt.

Also, while removing one of the dead fish earlier today I noticed a strange spot around the stomach area of the fish and with the slightest pressure I gave my unlucky friend a squeeze. To my surprise his stomach burst open and many tiny white dots came from him. I'm not sure if this is relevant but figured I would include it.

Any ideas on how dangerous this is for my other fish, what it could have been and how to treat it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, Iam also a newbie but I did hear tell of leaking tank heaters slowly cooking fish. Not sure though.

You should consider doing big water changes more frequently. Any time your amm/nitrite hit .25ppm (or higher), you need to bring these levels down to keep your fish healthy. A nitrite level of .5 is enough to kill fish. There is also the possibility you purchased sick stock but I believe nitrite is the most likely culprit. Do not add any more fish until your amm/nitrite levels have stayed consistently at zero for atleast a week (preferably longer) and consider using a qt tank for any new fish that you may consider purchasing to prevent introducing diseases into your main tank.

Back
Top Bottom