safest way to treat panda corys for ich in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I also have a pair of gbr's in the same tank. Only 2 of the 7 pandas are showing ich and none of the gbr are yet. Does anyone have a good remedy for pandas and ich? I know they are extremely sensitive to salt and high temps so that isn't an option and that's the method I've always used so I'm kinda out of my element here....
Thanks all. :(

I guess i should clarify this. I know enough to not use salt with corys and I've treated for ich in the past with just heat alone @88° for 2 weeks straight and it always worked.
My question is this... will my pandas be able to endure the length of time it takes for the spores to drop and have the ich cycle run its full course? I mean even with added aeration will 88° be too much or should i go a conservative route of 85-86°, would that be warm enough to kill the ich?

Dr.g's fish food will cure ick:ich and all you do is feed it to the fish. Only available at your lfs though

I was kinda lookin for a remedy i could start straight away and i dont really have the funds to buy medicated food. Thanks for the tip though. I didn't know there was an oral med.for ich.

And this stuff works well. I'm treating my entire tank with it right now

I think adding garlic to the tank kills them as well. Google adding garlic to fish tank

Cichlid Kid said:
I was kinda lookin for a remedy i could start straight away and i dont really have the funds to buy medicated food. Thanks for the tip though. I didn't know there was an oral med.for ich.

Raising the temperature is free and speeds up the life cycle of the ich. Although this is not a remedy keep in mind. You will only speed up the cycle. Preferably you will Medicate and raise the temperature. It comes down to either spend a few bucks to Medicate and save some fish or roll the dice and see who survives the ich after raising the temp. Either way best of luck to you and don't let this get you down. :)

Shaker said:
I think adding garlic to the tank kills them as well. Google adding garlic to fish tank

Garlic does not kill ich just helps builds the fishes immune system to help fight the problem at hand.

I know pandas are touchy when it comes to meds and I'm not sure which kind would be less stressful for them and the rams.

1) Temprature: Raise your tank temp to 84. Ich can't breed in this temp. Note: But the higher temp will reduce oxygen in your system so run an air stone in the sump during treatment. If you are not sure you have a coral or invert that would find this temprature intolerable, double check it.

2) Feeding: Add garlic to your fishes diet. Medication kills ich. Garlic will not kill ich but the pests don't like the taste so it makes them hop off your fish. It's inconclusive if it will keep new free floating from attaching, so the idea is to get them off and make sure if any hop on they won't stay.

3) Lighting: Reduce your lights to the minimum your corals can handle and stay in good health. Again, do your homework on what your corals will tolerate. Ich can't breed without light, but your filter feeders can't eat without it either. Also, lower lighting affects algae propragation which is not horrible as long as it's temporary. Again, use common sense. If you can give up some lighting without causing any harm, even if only a couple of hours a day, some is better than none. But if you can't, then don't.

4) UV Sterilizer: A UV Sterlizer will kill 80-90% of free floating parasites if 1) the unit is the right size for the tank and 2) you use the correct pump. Flow of water through these units is crucial. It’s important the pump not be too powerful. To determine the right pump, you start with the pump specs on the box and then factor in gravity if the UV unit will be above the pump. When these units first came out it was a nightmare figuring out what pump to get. There is a lot more help with that now.

Preventatives: 1) Operate a UV Sterilizer full time on your tank. 2) If you are feeding frozen foods, most already have garlic in them. If not, get some from your aquairum supplier and add per directions based on volume of food. If you feed dry foods you would have to add a drop and let it soak into the food and then feed. 3) Invest in a small tank for keeping new comers. Everyone in the hobby recommends not putting a new fish in a display until you know that fish is healthy. If there is some reason you can't do this, liveaquaria.com has the best advice in keeping the water the fish comes in out of your tank during aclimation. But don't trust their bag floating advice. They failed to consider surface current in their advice. So clip or wedge bags once opened.

Thanks Shaker. That helps. Its been a while since I've had to deal with any kind of aqua parasite. I do QT all my newbies so I'm not sure how this came about.
Just wanna put it behind me and get on w/no casualties.

No problem man. Good look and I'm sure they will be fine ich/ick is a easy one to beat. Try taking care of a spinny box puffer aka burr fish.

Bangshead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom