Sand stuck in fish's mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have a juvie hap cichlid about 1 - 1.25 inches and he's been at the bottom by the sand and his mouth is moving as if he is chewing some food. However, he's doing this non-stop for 3 days now, is it possible he got some sand caught somewhere when he was sifting through the sand? I have fine play sand :( Any ideas on how to get that sand out or if there's another cause?

Is he eating? Looks like he's just bugging out a bit, getting picked on at all??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

two thoughts
hes carrying sand is it possible he/she is packing eggs
looks like he is the smallest just hasnt gotten brave enough to join in with the others yet give him time ,

He isn't eating, a pellet went right passed him on the ground and he just looked at it. He isn't being bullied either and I'm pretty sure he isn't carrying eggs, otherwise she'd have that droopy cichlid chin (though I'm leaning more towards a male). I haven't seen him pick up any sand, it's like he got some caught inside somewhere and isn't able to spit it back out.

Well, maybe net it out and have a look??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Didn't see anything, then again with the grain so small it's hard to really tell. Want to put him into my QT, but my wife is using it for her sick koi fish ��

Back
Top Bottom