sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cindye1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a one year old betta in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with an in-tank filter. He started not eating about a month ago and I tried a round of tetracycline (removing the charcoal first). No effect. Tried penicillin and he perked up a little, so I kept it up for 10 days, as directed. He had started to eat a little and then someone suggested there might be an ammonia problem and sold me some Ammo-lock. I added just a little, but then decided I needed a kit to check. The kit showed a test of almost 3 TAN, but since the pH is 7 and the temp is about 78 degrees F, that is apparently an ok level. Just the same, I did a 75% water change, rinsing the gravel and putting the charcoal and a "bio-sponge", which is supposed to take care of ammonia (eventually), back in the filter. The fish is back to laying in the bottom of the tank, not eating. I'm tempted to completely change the water, but I'm afraid that will shock him too much. This little guy is trying to survive. Can you help me save him? I'm using bottled spring water, which I've tested and it's clear for ammonia, along with Stress-coat and I've added a small amount of aquarium salt whenever I've done a water change (as in throwing out much of the old water and salt). Help!

sorry to hear about ur betta:( ........i wouldn't advise the 100% WC
try using tap water with conditioner as Tap Water has some of the essential elements needed for the fish to survive and if u don't use tap water once in a while, those elements are depleted(as the bottled water/RO water doesn't have those elements since we don't need them) the fish cna get sick........thats my advice or try this..........

levamisole
AquaBid.com - Item # medications1321571993 - Levamisole HCL FDA approved 500 gallon treatment - Ends: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 05:19:53 PM CDT

Any ammonia is bad. Nothing that you put into the tank will absorb ammonia or remove it. The only solution is having a cycled tank that will convert the ammonia into nitrates, and doing constant water changes. 2.5G is very very small, and IN MY OPINION no fish belong in such a small area. That's like leaving a cat inside a washing machine for it's whole life.

Chemicals can really stress fish out even more, sometimes it's required.. but usually problems can be resolved with good water conditions. With that said, do you have a test kit? Do you know your water parameters that he is living in?

Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte.

Back
Top Bottom