Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a delta tail betta in an established (has been going for at least 6 months) 10 gallon tank, all by himself. I got him only a few days ago but this morning I noticed that a spot on him has a bunch of scales sticking out, and looks very red/inflamed. When I used to have a koi pond one of my $3000 koi had this exact thing (except larger), and the vet came and treated it, giving it shots and all this stuff, but still died. This betta doesn't cost thousands of dollars but I don't want him to do. what should I use to treat him... I bought some API pimafix, and put the proper dosing but should I dab it with hydrogen pro oxide as I have seen on the Internet or no? the first two pics are of the fungus/inflammation and the last one is his other side.

image-342342081.jpg

image-2000746809.jpg

image-566599036.jpg

also does anyone know what this is called?

He's very pretty :)
What are your parameters?
IMO you shouldn't use pimafix. One of the ingredients is clove oil which is used as a sedative. It's hard to say exactly what it is from the pictures. I would add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of tank water. Add it slowly over a day or so and dissolved in a cup of water. It kind of looks like a burn or an injury from getting stuck. Is its fuzzy or bleeding? You can also remove him briefly from the tank and dab the area with hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria.

ammonia an nitrite are 0 and same with nitrate. I did a 50% water change this morning. it is fuzzy and looks like its an open wound at first but when you look closer it sticks way out on his body, it looks like some kinda fungus infection.

Ok. Your best option IMO is antibiotics combined with salt, clean water and (if your choose) a swab of hydrogen peroxide. Start off with maracyn 2. Someone might have a better suggestion for antibiotics.

thank you very much. I guess another way to describe what it looks like is kinda like how scales pop up when a fish has dropsy, but this is only on a section of him, and it looks very red compared to his white scales.

image-628510959.jpg

all I have in there is some fake plants and drift wood. I netted him out of the container I bought him in, but I don't think he got stuck. here's a pic of the tank (sorry not that great of a shot)

image-1933776284.jpg

Mumma.of.two said:
The end of the wood looks like it could fit a Betta. They are very curious. How is he today?

+1 my betta squeezes himself in all sorts of places. Hope he gets better soon

yes I have been treating him and adding salt to the tank over the last day. it looks like it has now taken over part of his fin and is eating up his fin.

Back
Top Bottom