Sick Dwarf Gouramie - No QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a sick dwarf gouramie. He was likely sick when I bought him a little less than 2 weeks ago. I went through great lengths to pick out the healthiest fish in the tank. Unfortunately, the guy netting him lost him and though I tried my best to follow him, I clearly failed. When I got home, I knew right away that it wasn't the fish I had picked. This one had a couple of small white spots on him. Anyway, the white spots have grown rather large and look like cottony fuzz which a little of comes off from time to time and floats around in the water. I'm guessing he has some sort of fungus or something?

Problem is, I don't have a QT tank, or anything suitable to move him into. There are 9 neon tetras in the tank with him. What do I do? Is there something I can use to treat the whole tank? Is he pretty much a goner, or is this generally treatable? I should mention that this is a fairly heavily planted tank, so if I can treat the whole tank, it has to be with something that is safe for plants. Also, I'm somewhat limited around here with what sorts of meds I can find, so multiple suggestions will be appreciated where possible. I'm guessing I don't have time to wait to order something online.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Anything will work to use as a QT. I like to treat fungus with Quick Cure (malachite green and formalin, or just malachite green if you can find it). Methylene Blue might also work. However, I do think that plants can be senstive to those treatments, I'm not 100% positive though. If you can get to a store at all, and find anything more than 1 gallon to treat with, it might help. If not, I'd just keep an eye on the fish. Definitley sounds like a fungus though.

HTH

I could put him in a bucket (about 4 gallons) but it would be unheated. I could keep my room temp at around 21-22 C. But wouldn't that be too cold for him?

Hmm.. Might be ick but I'm no expert. I would take the fish back and get my money back. Then I would treat the whole tank with medicines just in case. Then when I know everything is fine, I would go back and get a new fish but this time make sure he is healthy and shows no signs illness. If you see even 1 fish in a tank that has white spots, don't get any other fish in that tank. Even though they might not show any signs of illness they might still be infected.

Back
Top Bottom