Sick Zebra Danio/Amano shrimp? Or is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budcraig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Firstly:

20 Gallon tank
6 Zebra Danios (glofish)
5 Amano shrimp
5 ghost shrimp
A whole bunch of trumpet snails

1x Aquaclear 20
1x Penguin Bio-Wheel 125

Tank was fishless cycled, and been running for about four months now.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm
pH - 7.6

Diet- Omega One freshwater flakes, and an occasional Hikari algae pellet

So here's the whole story. I don't think the two sick animals are related, but it is awfully suspicious.

I noticed one of my orange glofish was hanging out in the corner of the tank near the filter. She'd come over to eat, but otherwise didn't do much. She was always small, but she was getting extremely extremely thin. Sunken stomach and the whole thing. I put a breeder's net in the tank and trapped her in it. I've been feeding her a few extra times a day- no more than she can eat, but she seems to be doing better. She is still extremely small, and seems to be having a tough time keeping 'up' in the tank, but she isn't like laying on the bottom or anything. Shes active. Any ideas?

One of my amano shrimp seems to be having a problem with his swimmerettes. They're like puffed out, or swollen and... funny looking, for a lack of a better term. Whereas the other shrimp are sleek with their spinnerettes folded in, he is puffy. I've attached a link to a picture. Sorry about the quality, he was not very cooperative. I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

imgur: the simple image sharer

None of the other fish in the tank are showing any signs of any problem at all.

I am not sure about the shrimp since I have bo experience with them, but the fish sounds like she might have internal parasites. The best way to treat her would be to get her some anti-parasitic food, and feed her that for a month.

Sorry no one got to you sooner with an answer. :(

Back
Top Bottom