Skinny Rummy Nose Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indego

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently brought 4 Rummy Nose Tetras. (Around 6 weeks ago.)

3 of them are doing very well, but one of them is loosing weight. It seems active enough, and is always fosicing around the tank. All of their noses are very bright red (except for very early in the morning, they're quite pale when I leave for work at 6:30am, but are always bright at night.)

I have them in a tank with guppies, a bristle nose cat fish, and a fresh water muscle. They're fed frozen blood shrimp 2-3 times a week, a vitimin enriched flake or spirilina on the other days, the occasional pea, and my cat fish gets pallets.

Is there anythign I can do (other than maintain water quality/feeding) to help it gain weight?

It's an 80 Litre tank. The pH is 7.2, kH 3.5, my gH is 18 and I am slowly lowering it. (Less than a point per two weeks.) Amonia is 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrait was 4 before a water change.

At feeding time he charges around the tank, but seems to struggle to get any food. A flake, or worm will float by him and he goes off in the other direction. If he stumbles across food, he does seem to take a few nibbles... The other tetras inhale the whole flake.

His nose is just as bright as all the others (cept when they're all pale in the morning). It's just that he's tiny. When I brought them there wasn't a massive difference between the 4, but now it's really noticable.

Sounds like you got the runt of the litter. If you can, set up a makeshift QT and try to strengthen him up. Just needs a bit of TLC.

Back
Top Bottom