Something Wrong With My Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bungle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home from work today to find one of my corys (peppered, i believe) lying on his side, seemingly lifeless. After watching him for a few minutes, I decide to try and net him. After getting the net almost around him, he suddenly comes back to life long enough to swim out of the net, coming to a rest on the driftwood, once again on his side. So I decide to let him chill for a few. As of now, he is back on the ground, right side up. I don't know if he somehow fell off the driftwood and landed that way, or if he moved to the new spot all on his own. He is still not active, the only movement I see from him are his gills working.

My water looks like this:
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 20
ph - 7.4
gh - 8
kh - 4

Can anyone help me with any ideas as to whats going on?

With that said, I'd like to share with you the biggest newbie mistake I've made so far. I have no QT tank :roll: I'll most likely run and pick one up tomorrow morning. So for right now, if anyone can, give me some suggestions on what to do in the meantime. TIA :D

Do you see it moving at all? I mean, watch occasionally. Honestly, cories at the laziest fish in the universe. Mine lay on the ground ALL day, except at feeding time and they are perfectly healthy. I would say, if it is moving around still, give it a chance to chill out. Did you just get it?

Also, how does it look. No fungus or discoloration? No spots or heavy breathing?

Corys are notorious for just laying around all day, so I don't think you have all that much to worry about, unless you never see him move at all. HTH

Corydoras don't lay around on their sides, though.

Corydoras are built to sink when they aren't swimming...I wouldn't call them lazy.

Have you changed your water recently?

What other fish do you have in your tank?

I ask all these things but I am vvvery much a neophite fish tank keeper.

How are the cory's whiskers...still present and accounted for?

if accounted for hopefully still on their lips 8P.

yeah my corys almost never move. they dont really move at feeding time. but when they get hungry you can see them pecking at the sand looking for food :). maybe their getting use to the feeding scedule err schedule watever

cories are nocturnal by nature.

Mine seem to prefer to hold their front up higher than their tail but I never really notice any laying on their side...how much on its side are we talking about here? they are not really made for laying on their sides very well.

Thanks for the advice, everybody. Unfortunately, I found the little guy yesterday again on his side, definately dead. :( He was a reletively new fish, so who knows what did him in? There were no visible signs of anything on him, and my water paramaters have been cool for some time now. My remaining two cories continue to be their cory-selves, but I will definately be keeping a close eye on them. Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Did you notice this guy being the third wheel to the other two? If the other two paired up it may have not gone unnoticed by the third one. They are schooling social fish and I have seen this in the past. I get two that end up being a breeding pair and they ignore the third one. (Just another thought from the usual like It was the weakest fish)

Any how sorry for the loss.

My fingers are crossed that you have a breeding pair.. :) That will stay happy and healthy together.

Hmmm... Didn't think of that. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't rule it out. It did always seem as if two were active in the same area and one would be off doing his own thing. I just never thought to see if it was always the same in the pair.

Your cory most likely has chemical poisoning. Its caused by cleaning, cosmetic, or bug sprays that travel through the air and come in contact with the aquarium water. U need to change all the water and the filter cartridge.

him and his buddies (two other cories) were in the tank for a little over a week. the remaining two are still around, doing fine :)

Back
Top Bottom