Sores on tetras [high quality photos inside]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hendr1x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
So I had a Tetra that was acting a little strange, not schooling and not paddling very much, not eating very much....about a week ago. I didn't think any thing of it (I'm very new to aquariums) until today I notice he had two white sores on the bottom of his body. I am going to attach photos to show.

I have him isolated now, he swam strongly when I was trying to catch him. None of the other fish are showing any symptoms (including 7 other Tetras).

Honestly, I'm kinda freaking out, hopefully I didn't mess anything up but I decided to dose my primary tank + the isolation tank with API pimafix. If you guys want me to do anything else I can go to the pet store tomorrow morning. I need to get some sleep for now.

Thank you all for your help.

P.S. My isolation tank (10g) doesn't have filter (I don't have an extra), it does have a heater and bubbler, is this ok for short term? If so, how long?

Mods : Sorry about the duplicate post. Can you add the link to the image service to this post? It has much higher quality images then are allowed by your image upload system.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 43
Additional Photos

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 37
At first glance it looks like your tetra has a fungus. It's great that you isolated the sick fish. Since you don't have a backup power filter with cycled media, the bubbler will have to do. At this point it's important to keep the rest of your stock healthy. Should do a 40% WC, and gravel vac, asap. in your main tank. I think the Pimafix is a good med choice. Don't forget to change 25% of your H. tank water daily. Good luck.

The instructions on the pimafix say dose daily for 7 days and then do a 25% change.

So you are recommending 25% water change on my isolation tank daily? Is that because I don't have filter?

Along with the 40% change and the gravel clean, should I do the 7 day treatment on my main tank as well?

Thanks million for your help

Also one of my fish friends said I should do an ich treatment because there was no harm in doing it. Nothing looks like ich to me but I figured I would get your opinion.

Similarly, API makes a fungus cure that I read (not confirmed) that I can mix the pimafix and API's fungal cure. Is there any benefit (if I even can) to doing this?

Thanks again

With no filter on the hospital tank, daily WC's need to be done. Do your daily H. tank WC, then medicate. Repeat the same procedure the next day. Do the noted big WC on your main tank, medicate with Pimafix once, then resume your normal weekly maintenence. I wouldn't treat the main tank for ick unless the fish are infected. Most Ick meds damage the BB in your filter to some degree. I don't believe your Pimafix hurts the BB. I think it's similar to Melafix, an all natural type tank antiseptic.

Will do.

My isolated fish isn't doing so well. I haven't given up hope yet. What do you think about doing the fungal treatment on him?

In regards to my main tank, when you say medicate with pimafix once, do you mean one day/dosage or do you mean one full week of treatment?

Lastly, during my reading I found tetra lifeguard, which seemed like a good product to have around / covered a lot of issues. Is there a consensus on this product? If I had it, I would have used it last night.

Thanks for your time

When an outbreak occurs, no matter if the treatment is natural or meds, expect to sustain some losses. Thank goodness apparently only one tetra is sick. If i' m not mistaken the Pimafix is also used for fungus. As for your main tank since the other fish appear normal, I would do the noted WC and just dose once, not all week. I'm not an advocate of Aquarium meds in general but understand on occasion certain meds might be needed. regarding aquarium diseases, the best offense is actually defense. Clean pure water, well vac' d
Gravel, and a constant appropriate temp. Usually are enough to ensure the rarity of diseases.

Back
Top Bottom