Swim Bladder Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evalmore

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,

I just recently (yesterday) brought home a new Shubunkin for my small coldwater tank. This morning when I woke up, he was swimming on his side and his swimming was somewhat twitchy. He's still able to swim all around the tank and isn't stuck floating at the top or bottom of the tank, so I'm hoping this is a good sign. I'm very new at fish owning (this I my first tank) and I don't know what I should do for my fish! I've read a few threads about Swim Bladder Disease and it looks like that might be what he has. The threads I read on Swim Bladder Disease said something about not feeding him for a day or so, and because of that I haven't fed him at all today. I have two very small common goldfish in the same tank and they aren't displaying any signs of distress like the Shubunkin. Is there anything I can do for the poor thing or should I expect the worst?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and weighing in.

Here are some pictures of the poor thing. Sorry if they aren't very clear, like I said he's still swimming around and not staying still, which I hope is a good sign.

Attachments

• image-1220564022.jpg
    image-1220564022.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3903222466.jpg
    image-3903222466.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3550544582.jpg
    image-3550544582.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 67
I will ask you some answers so it will be easier for us to assist you:

-Size of the Aquarium

-Food's feeded

-Tank Temperature

-Beginning of Illness symptoms

-Exact fish behavior

-Water Parameters

Alright. I'll answer as best as I can, but like I said this is my first tank ever and I haven't had it for long.

Aquarium size - 1.5 gallons

Foods fed- They get "Tetra" Goldfish Flakes twice daily

Tank temperature - 65-70 degrees

Symptoms/Exact Behavior - When I woke up this morning he was swimming on his side like the pictures show. Besides the additional slight twitching of his fins (and the swimming sideways) he is acting normal.

Water Parameter - Unfortunately I do not have a testing kit for my water. At the time when I bought everything I thought I needed for my tank I did not know I needed a water testing kit.

Hopefully this helps.

Alright. I'll answer as best as I can, but like I said this is my first tank ever and I haven't had it for long.

Aquarium size - 1.5 gallons

Foods fed- They get "Tetra" Goldfish Flakes twice daily

Tank temperature - 65-70 degrees

Symptoms/Exact Behavior - When I woke up this morning he was swimming on his side like the pictures show. Besides the additional slight twitching of his fins (and the swimming sideways) he is acting normal.

Water Parameter - Unfortunately I do not have a testing kit for my water. At the time when I bought everything I thought I needed for my tank I did not know I needed a water testing kit.

Hopefully this helps.
Yes, it is very helpful. First of all, I will help you a bit. Fancy goldfish require at least 20 gallon aquariums, with 10 gallon extra with every additional fish. As for commet's, personally, I recommend at least 100-120 gallons as these fish like to swim fast(realise the name ;) ) and go around the tank. Shubunkin's are usually Only pond fish(although some might say no). These fish usually reach between 12" and 16" long, but if confined in such a small place, will get stunted, and end up intoxicating themselves due to their HUGE waste production.
This might be indeed swim bladder disease. This is, get it or not, caused commonly by by flake food. The way fish eat flake food is particular since they eat it at the surface(Forces them to gulp air at the same time). Also, he might be constipated witch is causing this problem. Also, feeding him peas after fasting him will help him clear up his intestinal track. Try it out, and give us the results. If his state degrades even more, let us know, and we will give you more advice.
How often do you clean the tank water?

*FYI: IMO, 1,5 gallons is inapropriate for any type of fish, and maybe only shrimp.

Thank you so much for the advice. Being an extremely new fish owner I didn't know that the tank was too small for the three fish I have. I am in the market for another, much bigger tank though :), so thank you for your input on that matter. I clean the tank I have twice a week.

As for the Shubunkin, I've already started fasting him and after this I will be sure to give him the shelled peas. When he is well again, should I try to find him a new home with someone who has a pond? Even though I'm completely new at being a fish owner, their well being is my top priority and if he won't thrive in an indoor tank I want him to be where he can grow to his full potential.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Thank you so much for the advice. Being an extremely new fish owner I didn't know that the tank was too small for the three fish I have. I am in the market for another, much bigger tank though :), so thank you for your input on that matter. I clean the tank I have twice a week.

As for the Shubunkin, I've already started fasting him and after this I will be sure to give him the shelled peas. When he is well again, should I try to find him a new home with someone who has a pond? Even though I'm completely new at being a fish owner, their well being is my top priority and if he won't thrive in an indoor tank I want him to be where he can grow to his full potential.

Again, thank you very much for your help.
Unshell the peas. And if you are in for a large tank with a good filtration rate(120gallons+), then you could consider keeping him. As for the commet's you have, if you want at all cost to have goldfish, you can consider rehousing all the fish and getting fancy goldfish. They as well, get to an impressive size, and are quite a visual attract. Think about it this way: The more Space, the Better!
Keep us posted about your fish's progress, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate!

Thank you again very much. You have been a great help :)! I will certainly keep everyone posted on the fish's condition and my tank situation as well!

Please invest in liquid test kit for your parameters asap. This tank is uncycled and will not properly cycle with its current residents. The symptoms you are seeing are not swimbladder but the result of toxins in too small of a tank. I honestly would start changing all of their water every day until you can figure out your situation. Make SURE you temperature match and properly condition all new water. Using prime as your water conditioner will help between the daily changes. Please ask if you have questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

First of all, thank you very much for your reply. I will be purchasing water conditioner and a liquid test kit first thing tomorrow morning until I can find new, suitable homes for these fish. I actually feel bad that I even bought them now seeing that I was completely uneducated on what they would need :(. They were impulse buys and now I am taking complete responsibility for finding them suitable homes. The Shubunkin will go to my boyfriend's outdoor koi pond (he is much more adept to fish care than I am, trust me.) and I think I'll put the two little comets into a MUCH larger tank (which will be cycled and conditioned) since I'm very fond of them. Thank you again for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom