The ICH Experiment HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have it again and there is nobody to blame but myself! My first bout of ICH happened because I introduced 3 clowns (all died) without first putting them into QT. I'm new so by the time I had found some info on what these spots were and worked through the various ways to get rid of it the ICH was already well advanced. I treated the tank by raising the temperature and using interpet whitespot treatment..ICH seemed to vanish and all was well BUT not only did I not keep the treatment up to ensure it was gone forever..I have also introduced it to my other tanks so now all tanks are infected!

Having read the article by Allivymar (which is clear and the best source of information I have seen) I am going to try three of the methods he mentions in there.

Method One..
Tank 1 (see profile)..Heat only if the fishys can cope (see questions)

Tank 2..Salt and heat..I am concerned the Plec will react badly to the meds and I noted in one response Allivymar said salt was ok with these.

Tank 3..Half strength meds and heat (this tank has platy fry which are infected)

OK now for the questions :eyes:

1. If you look at my signature and the fishys I have what is the highest temperature that I can safely go to in each of my tanks?

2. I am going to get something to test the salt for the main tank any recommendations as to what I should get...I have no idea?

3. I will continually be monitoring my tanks for water quality during the treatments and if I have to do a water change do I need to top up the meds acordingly so as they do not become diluted and if so what is the best way of doing this without giving them a med overdose?

This board is a real life saver and to date has been the best source of information I could have hoped for! :D

She! LOL I'm a SHE!

*snickers* Ok, on to more important things:

The only fish which may be an issue temp wise is the danios; the others should be fine with temps over 86F for the 2 or so weeks needed to treat ich.

You want a hydrometer; I bought one by SeaTest; cost me around $10-11. Basically you dip it in the tank until it fills, take it out, level it and read the amount of salt. Salt may be the treatment for you to use (see above for why).

If you use meds, do the water changes first, then add the meds. Most ich meds are added once a day; they lose potency after 24 hours. So if you use one that requires daily addition, doing the change before adding will prevent any probs with med levels.

sorry about that..don't know what made me thing you were a he :oops:

Thanks for all the information thats just what I needed to know and armed with all the information I am ready to slay those little suckers once and for all! :ninja:

Back
Top Bottom