the lastest installment of: Betta With Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europas_ice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm back again.

History: Around April 15 I got my betta a 5 gallon tank, with a heater (80F) and sponge filter. Since then I've been doing daily 1-2 gallon water changes to keep the nitrite levels down. Nitrites are at .5 ppm before the water change and .25 after. I had added bio spira which added the ammonia -> nitrite bacteria. (Ammonia level at 0 ppm.) I thought it had also added the nitrite -> nitrate bacteria because I was getting nitrate levels of 5 ppm, but yesterday I tested my tap water and that is the level in the water. Question 1: is this level a problem? and if so, what to do about it?

During this time my fish's tail has changed in appearance daily, but I've been unable to tell if it's growing back or rotting more. At any rate the overall length of the tail hadn't appeared to change at all, so I wasn't too worried.

This morning however, the tail appears a lot shorter (like half of it's previous short length), and I'm worried about the rot impinging on the body soon. When I look at the tail there is no obvious white fungus or anything else growing on it. It is just like it gets brittle and falls off in pieces. Question 2: Should I add some medication at this point? I had him on tetracycline back in the bowl days, and I don't know if the bacteria might be resistant to that now? Or just keep up with the water changes?

TIA.

Nitrates of 5 ppm are not a concern at all. After your water change to get an accurate reading for nitrite you have to wait a couple of hours and then test.

I'm no expert on bettas but do know pristine water conditions are the best remedy. I have heard of people having success with Maracyn or maracyn II with bettas and fin rot. Has the bettas fins been fraying and rotting since the 15th?

I've had trouble with his fins since I got him, in mid-February! And he's still kicking. Actually, when I got home tonight, the bottom half (!) of his tail has doubled in length. I guess I will take this as a good sign, and not medicate for now (?). I was really hoping he'd be a LOT lower maintence than this. Maybe once the tank gets cycled it will be easier.

Keep doing water changes to keep the nitrite down. Daily water changes could possibly be stressful for the betta, so that may be a reason the finrot is still hanging on. Like you said, I'm also thinking that things will get better when the cycle completes. It's also a positive step to put him in a heated, filtered tank instead of a bowl, as we discussed in a previous thread!

I hope your betta does get better! Of all the bettas I have had in my tanks, only one had almost constant finrot. The others never even got a little tear!

I wouldn't medicate again right now, unless he gets drastically worse, but I wanted to mention a med that I had good results with for finrot - Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It's an anti-fungal and antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom