Tiger Barb very odd behavior.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hassled

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So about a month ago I purchased some barbs and they were doing fine until two days ago. I got them when they were pretty small, probably an inch or less. I had 5. So in the past two days I have been monitoring the water very closely because I know something isn't right. The issue is that the biggest barb in the tank chased two of the smaller barbs literally non-stop. The tiger barbs, which are green tiger barbs, turned completely white.

It got really bad tonight however, worse than it has been in the past couple of days, so I monitored them very closely, and when it looked like they finally were sleeping and not chasing I went to bed.

I just woke up to find the one that was doing the chasing is dead. None of these barbs have any signs of sickness and the water levels are perfect.

What am I missing, and why was the bully barb the one to drop dead? And what should I do with the others?

Now the green barbs that were practically white have all their color back and are ready to eat again, what did I just witness? Did they get fed up and turn on the bigger one and kill it? This confuses me even more...

Wow, wish I could help. Never heard of that before, but it does make you wonder if they got feed up and took him out.

Don't know about the colour change, but the chasing and fighting bit is normal for Tigers, mine used to have it out every morning to see who was going to be the top fish that day - you should probably increase your numbers of them as aggression is then spread out more, 7 and up is always better for these guys.

Back
Top Bottom