Unhealthy lemon tetra.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaines1991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I have a shoal of lemon tetras ranging in ages from a few months to around three years. Last week I noticed a strange swelling on one of the older tetras , at first I thought this might be dropsy however the swelling only occurred on one side and there were none of the usual symptoms to accompany this. I telephoned my LFS for some advice and they told me that it could possibly be a tumour and their was advice was to use a general tonic ? Since then the swelling has been steadily growing, I have taken a water test of my tank and the results are as follows.

P.H - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 -10 ppm

No other fish appear to be showing symptoms of disease or infection , I have included some pictures to help illustrate the problem ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448198247.658964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448198269.796927.jpg

Any help on this would be most appreciated I also have a small quarantine tank if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Could it be compacted mass in the stomach / intestines? Wasn't quite sure where it was located but seems to have come on quick for a tumour imo.

Last edited:
I agree with dela. He might be constipated, id hate for you to like slap the cancer label when it was something in his tummy. lol
They said general tonic? Like Epsom salt? Why don't you try a Epsom salt bath and feeding it only a deshelled pea and starving it for a day or two..

I agree with dela. He might be constipated, id hate for you to like slap the cancer label when it was something in his tummy. lol
They said general tonic? Like Epsom salt? Why don't you try a Epsom salt bath and feeding it only a deshelled pea and starving it for a day or two..

Good advice I am going to try that as we speak ill let you know how we get on

Is it pooping? have you ever seen it poop? jus wondering. Hoping its not worms or some other internal parasite, but just looks like one side is swollen so hmmm.

Hello again.

I tried the cooked pea method he/she seemed to eat it normally, I have not seen it poop as of yet but I will continue to watch carefully.

A bit of an interesting development though the swelling seems to have decreased slightly leading me to the conclusion that it is some sort of blockage hopefully this is good news I will continue to check everyday and will post back if I notice anything else.

Back
Top Bottom