URGENT ADVICE: Fish swim'g upside down, but fighting death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tank-challenged

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
anything i can do? goldfish, 10 gallon tank, he's swims upside down, then tries to fight it and swims around for awhile... then floats up to the surface...

anything to do? feed him, take him out and put him in cold water or something ? :(

Sounds like a swim bladder problem and if that is the case, there probably isnt anything you can do for him. Maybe someone else will come with better advice for ya. But in the future I wouldnt keep a goldfish in a ten gallon as they get much too large for that small of a tank. They also produce massive amounts of waste which can cause the water to go bad very quickly in that small of a tank. Sorry to hear about your fish! I hope someone helps you more than I can.

What do you feed the fish? What is the water temperature? Can you test your water and give us your readings?

There are a number of things that can cause a swim bladder problem (the off balance). Likely its from poor water quality or feeding the wrong foods. Read through the thread bigmac1878 posted and see if that helps you. Lots of good advice there.

Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice, since I am fighting a recurrent case of swimbladder problem (see the thread on my Moor)..... :(

The link above is pretty good in giving an overview of the cause, but the treatment is really mostly for vets .... for us non-vets, I'd sugget:

1. check water parameters - correct any problems with water first before doing anything else.
2. decrease water level - fish will be less stressed in shallower water ---- however, this would mean less water in the tank .... so you must be diligent in water changes ...etc. Daily checking & pwc is a msut in a 10 gal.
3. Treat for constipation (the most common cause fo SB problems) - try fasting for a couple days followed by peas. Observe fish poop - if still appears constipated, consider using Epsom's salt.
4. Increase temperature - some up the temp to low 80's to increase metabolism & help treat constipation. Fancies should be kept at 70's to prevent problems.
5. Once constipation is corrected, feed sinking pellets & lots of veggies to prevent problems.
6. If treating for constipation does not correct problem - consider an internal infection (bacterial or parasites) as a cause & treat for it ...... note that meds are harsh & some fish will not survive your treatment.

Some fancies have either congenital SB problems or have SB so damaged that the cannot be cured. This is when surgery comes in (assuming you have a big, expensive show fish & want to shell out big bucks for a vet!)

Read this for another take on SB problems:

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/symptom/symptom.htm#floating problems

If you fees the fish floating foods and the goldfish it one of those fancy fat ones the there will be problems. if the fish inhales to much air while it;s eating then it will swim upside down. i suggest switching to a slow sinking pellet as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom