urgent betta help!!!!!!! flashing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone, i need some help. so i just realized that my betta fish was doing something that sounds like "flashing." he swims back and forth and back and forth every day against the aquarium glass, and it's almost like he's itching his body against it. what i don't understand is why he's doing it on the glass. he doesn't just swim across the front of the tank, he bumps into it when he swims (he swims against the glass).
i'm afraid it's something with a parasite or something, which was said to be a cause of flashing. he recently got fin rot, which i assumed was from stress because he was moved into a 5 gallon tank. also, a little while ago i noticed something white on his face. it hasn't gotten bigger or anything like that, so i wasn't concerned about it. but i do not think he had that when i got him. so now i'm afraid it's a parasite that he has and i don't know what to do!!! pleeease someone that has/had bettas and knows about this please help me!!!! :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428074363.298082.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428074389.228139.jpg you can see the whitish thing on his left side of his face in these pictures, but it's still hard to see. :(

If he is scratching and you can see white spots on him he has ich or "white spot".

Jamie T

Parameters?
New additions lately (fish, plants, etc.)?
Is it happening regularly? If it's infrequent, don't worry about it.
Flashing is something irritating the fish.
It could be:
Gill flukes and other parasites namely Ich. If parameters are fine, definitely look out for this.

High levels of toxin in the water. Ammonia burning gills will cause fish to flash. This causes red, swollen gills.

High levels of heavy metal.

Sudden change in pH.

First, check parameters. If they're normal, parasites and/or gill flukes could be possible.

Back
Top Bottom