Urgent help needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

risso0529

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi

I am very worried about my fish, I have noticed a few unusual things over the past week and am conserned that something serious is going wrong - I want to act quickly to try and help the fish and hopefully not loose any.

Here are the details:

I have around 20/25 smaller fish (about 1 inch or less) mostly platys and mollies and I also have a gold severum.

I have tested the water and the reading are as follows:

Ammonia 0 to 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20/40
PH 8.8
Temp 26 C

The tank is 240 litres and has been set up for more than 1 year. I have a filter and good water agitation. I do a partial water change once a week and clean the filter every 2 week (only one part at a time). I use the gravel vac every week but usually only clean half the tank each time (this was last done at the weekend).

Here is the issues:

The first thing I noticed was about a week ago when I saw what looked like white poo coming from one of the fish - I though this looked a bit strange but I havent seen any more of this. The next thing I have noticed is that over the last couple of days the severum has been swimming a little strangly, leaning to one side a little and also swimming a bit vertically with his nose upwards - he seems to be able to swim ok and does swim normally as well but this seems strange to me and is not his normal behaviour. Then today I noticed a couple of the smaller fish flicking and rubbing on the rocks - they were only doing this a little but again this is not normal. This prompted me to take a very close look at the fish and I cannot see any parasites at all apart from some very small white bits in the side fins of the severum. There seems to be one on one side and 2/3 on the otherside. They are very small and it is very hard to tell if it is ich or more like a cotton wool type growth or nothing at all.

I am obviously now very concerned - I have been watching the fish for the last half an hour and the severum is definatly swimming strangly - I think he is trying to rub on the plants.

I want to do everything I can to try and help the fish and hopefully if I act quickly I wont loose any - I have some aquarium salt and some ich treatment. I am thinking of doing a partial water change and adding these treatments, can anyone tell me if this is the right thing to do? How much water should I change? How much salt can I safely add? and is it safe/should I add the ich treatment also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Risso

Back
Top Bottom