Very awkward tiger barb actions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two tiger barbs, or really my father has two tiger barbs. I have been noticing that all they do all day is swim in one spot with their bodies perfectly vertical with their mouth facing the ground, is this behaviour common? The only time they will stop is when there is food, and when they are finished eating, they continue to do this until they are fed again. I find this very strange.

I have 10 barbs in my one of my tanks, and I see this behavior all the time. I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Is there a particualar reason why they would do this, it is pretty creepy when they do it.

So long as they're able to swim normally at feeding time, there's nothing to worry about. My tigers love the current produced by the cannister filter. While they're in it, they swim in some very odd positions like the one you described. :roll

If you want to see something really creepy, get some corys. They like to rest on the gravel on their sides or even on their backs. They look positively dead, and everytime, it freaks me out. 8O

They could be uncomfortable in the tank. Tiger barbs are social, schooling fish, and always do best in groups of 6 or more. They'll establish a pecking order and will then co-habitate as they would in the wild.
Keeping them in groups also reduces their 'aggressive' behavior towards other fish. Its not that they are particularly mean, they just need a chain of command before they settle down.

Actually my two tiger barbs are the most passive fish in that tank. They were even with guppies before I took them out and they completely ignored them.

QTOFFER said:
So long as they're able to swim normally at feeding time, there's nothing to worry about. My tigers love the current produced by the cannister filter. While they're in it, they swim in some very odd positions like the one you described. :roll

If you want to see something really creepy, get some corys. They like to rest on the gravel on their sides or even on their backs. They look positively dead, and everytime, it freaks me out. 8O

Yoyo's sometimes look dead too, then they move, lol.

My baby tigers haven't done this except at night. But then again, they are tiny, and always moving around. Maybe they will start doing that when they get a little older and bigger.

Some of my TBs do this, and others don't. I keep 8 of them in my 55 gallon, and would agree that they would probably be happier with a few more if you have room.

My serpae tetras do that when they go to sleep, a little while after lights out.

Back
Top Bottom