Very Sick Betta- Is it Curable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
My favorite betta has fallen very ill all of the sudden. it happened out of nowhere. In the morning he was fine, by night he was acting funny, and by the next morning it was like he was half dead.

Symptoms: Gills acting weird (scales around gills pink and seem to not be working efficiently). The swim bladder seems to be going bad too, because he can't seem to maintain neutral buoyancy and keeps sinking. He constantly is going up for air from the surface, but it's a major struggle to get up there. Whenever he isn't climbing to the surface for air, he's down on the gravel lying on his side.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is it swim bladder disorder and something else? Is there any possible way to save him? Please help!

Bettafanatic said:
My favorite betta has fallen very ill all of the sudden. it happened out of nowhere. In the morning he was fine, by night he was acting funny, and by the next morning it was like he was half dead.

Symptoms: Gills acting weird (scales around gills pink and seem to not be working efficiently). The swim bladder seems to be going bad too, because he can't seem to maintain neutral buoyancy and keeps sinking. He constantly is going up for air from the surface, but it's a major struggle to get up there. Whenever he isn't climbing to the surface for air, he's down on the gravel lying on his side.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is it swim bladder disorder and something else? Is there any possible way to save him? Please help!

Have you tested your water? If part of the problem is swim bladder try fasting him for a few days.

He won't take food so fasting will be easy. I think the major problem his his gills. I don't think they're functioning properly.

Test results:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 5

So the tests seem fine. I checked the temperature too and it's perfectly fine.

Bettafanatic said:
He won't take food so fasting will be easy. I think the major problem his his gills. I don't think they're functioning properly.

Test results:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 5

So the tests seem fine. I checked the temperature too and it's perfectly fine.

Hmm, water parameters are good. That is odd. Can you move him to something smaller or more shallow so he doesn't have to struggle to get up for air? I'm really sorry I don't have more to offer.

I'll try but the only smaller tank I have is a 1 gallon, which isn't that much shallower. Thanks for helping out. I just hope he pulls through. Unless somebody can tell me how to cure him and if it gets worse, I might have to euthanize him so he won't just be struggling and sad. I'm really upset because me and that fish have some nice memories.

Bettafanatic said:
I'll try but the only smaller tank I have is a 1 gallon, which isn't that much shallower. Thanks for helping out. I just hope he pulls through. Unless somebody can tell me how to cure him and if it gets worse, I might have to euthanize him so he won't just be struggling and sad. I'm really upset because me and that fish have some nice memories.

You can use a Tupperware bowl & float it in the bigger tank to keep the warmth. So sorry for both of you.

I read that gills can get bacterial & other infections. I am not knowledgeable about it. Maybe that will help you find some info? I am so sad for you both!

Back
Top Bottom