What does death by old age look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I haven't had my aquarium very long. but I was curious what fish death by old age looks like? Has anyone had a fish die from old age? Do they stop eating, get diseased, or appear normal and just die? Just curious, as hopefully I will have many long lived fish.

I lost a Giant Danio several weeks ago. I strongly suspect old age. She was in excess of five years old and hadn't shown any growth in years. No noticable change in color, activity, or behavior. She was just dead one morning. No fatalities since.

I had no idea that many of the tropical freshwater fish that alot of us have live so long. But they do, i think a mollie has a life of like 15 years or some absurd amount. Typically i don't think losing a fish in an aquarium setting is often cause by old age as there is alot of oppurtunity to mess up and kill one. But im sure there are some that manage to live a full healthy life.

jcarlilesiu said:
i think a mollie has a life of like 15 years .

i highly doubt this, most livebears dont live long at all and thats why they have so many offspring so often, or maybe thier lives are short because they have so many offspring. But mollies only live up to about 5 years.

but I was curious what fish death by old age looks like? Has anyone had a fish die from old age? Do they stop eating, get diseased, or appear normal and just die?

All of the above? ;)

It varies. Since technically there is no such thing as "death by old age". It's been my experience that internal failures are the cause. Some fishes immune system may become too weak to keep infection at bay, and that may cause the death. Or, like a worn out human heart, it may simply fail. They may stop eating. I don't think there is a clear cut answer to your question, and that it will vary greatly upon experience.

Good question though. I like it.

Thats crewl. I love fish, never eaten sushi. uurrck! Although can c funny side.... I think if you can keep a fish till old age your doing well. But i agree wit Mr Devilishturtles i think when old age sets in it would be just like us, something packs it in or unable to fight disease anymore despite water conditions. Sad thought......... :(
BTW never like loosing family members.

That list has upside down catfish 5 years, but I had a Synodontis eupterus for 9-10 years, and it was fully grown when I got it. Clown loaches are another long-lived fish, they grow very slowly, around 1"/year, and get to be 12-13". Sadly, it is usually ignorance of their needs that is the most common cause of death for aquarium fish.

I'm very upset. talking about losing fish, my 18inch salmoncatfish is dying. He got smashed last night by his twin brother. 2 huge gaping holes in his gill plates and 2 more gaping holes behind his front fin. If you can imagine a 3 inch serrated blade going into your neck! About 4 times...... Twisted and ripped out. I dont know what to do when it dies. :(

I currently have a blue ram that is over two years old. They are not supposed to be long lived and reach sexual maturity very early. I have also herd that a fish that has bred more than another will tend to havd a shorter life span. This is the case with my blue ram, she laid eggs 1-2 times a week for over a year and since has completely stopped. She has lost some alot of color and fullness as compared to the other blue rams in the tank. She also does not eat as much.-> so I suspect she is getting old and tired, as the male wont mate with her anymore and chases her away.

Unfortunately it succome to its injuries last night, i'm so upset. :(
Final measurement was 20 inhes and 4 1\2 inces wide. He was a very big boy. His brother is fretting, hopefully he will settle. i'm currently trying to find a dam to put him in.

Back
Top Bottom