What kinds of medications have you used with great success?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Disease seems to be a hot topic today. I have had my share, and have had great success with some not often used or recommeneded treatments.
One such treatment I have used with great results is the Jungle Labs tank drops. They are fizz type tablets. I swear by their Fungus Buddies. I have used these many times to treat lethargy, fin rot and columnaris. They are exceptionally easy to use and dose, which is one of the reasons I really like them. It is less likely that I will accidentally overdose a tank with them. Also, I have used them and seen remarkable improvement almost immediately with my fish.

For Ich, I use the standard heat/salt treatment with very large water changes. A few times I have fought it with Jungle Ich buddies or Wardleys Ich treatment, for especially stubborn cases.

If I suspected parasites or other problems, I would likely use the Jungle Labs fizz tablets again as I have had great success with them in the past.

I have also used Jungle antibiotic food, aquarium salt, vitamin C drops and garlic liquid to help my fish recover when ill.

when my BGK had extensive fin damage, i treated him with pimafix, for a week, which worked well. however on the inside of the lableling it said

"This product is know to the state of California to cause cancer"

I stopped using pimafix after the recommened time, and just loaded my BGK up on bloodworms

I use melafix on things like fin rot, fungus, etc. IMHO when it comes to ich nothing is better than aquarisol.

"This product is know to the state of California to cause cancer"

This warning is bogus. It has probably never caused cancer in anyone anywhere. What it should say is "This product contains chemicals that in high intracellular concentrations may cause mistakes in dna replication that will most likely do absolutely nothing but have a minute potential to cause cancer, so please don't drink the stuff." They actually test bacteria for a reversal of a mutation when they are basically swimming in the stuff, so it's not reasonable to apply this warning to something with which you will have only incedental contact.

Just about anything could carry that "Cancer in California" warning, so as long as you don't live in California, you are fine.

I have used melafix and pimafix with great success. I also like jungles anti-parasite food and the gel-tek products.

Peyton said:
when it comes to ich nothing is better than aquarisol.

Interesting - I used Aqarisol in my QT tank for new fish (even tho the fish had no signs of ich). When I moved the new fish out of the QT and into the main tank, guess what - ich ! I've stopped using it.

Moved to the Unhealthy Forum.

I have not had to treat for an illness for a long time but for ich we found that the heat and salt method was the best. It was cheap and easy. No chance of killing off the beneficial bacteria from chemicals.

I guess the only diseases I've treated in my own tanks are ich (not for a couple of years though) and fungus (some angels that were given to me for my work tank had it). I've found, especially after working at a LFS, that the heat and salt method is pretty much the best for most cases of ich. I don't like to add harsh chemicals to aquariums unless it is totally necessary, so I wouldn't want to add a med for ich when I can get the same result without a med. As for the fungus, Pimafix cleared it right up. I'm not sure if it would work as well for a more advanced case though, as it seems to be a mild medication.

I don't worry about the cancer warning on Pima/Mela. As I understand it, the state of CA thinks that everything is a carcinogen- LOL!

Has anyone ever thought that living in California could cause cancer? It isn't the products they test that cause cancer, it is where they test them :)

Seriously, I highly recommend Super Ick Cure from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. I've met with great success when I've had to treat fish infected with ich in the past. I've also used MelaFix to treat things like fin damage.

Back
Top Bottom